Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Column Dynamic Combine

Rohitpm
8 - Asteroid

Hi Guys

I am reading table data from an XML which is from pdfs. These column names can be slightly different or exactly the same name.

The batch macro i have created kicks out the columns of the tables.

As such i am looking at a way to dynamically combine different columns together. The columns will only have the data or null values in

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hi @Rohitpm,

Can you provide an example? I can't picture in my head what you need to happend

Rohitpm
8 - Asteroid

So here is an example of what i mean

Cost1Cost2Total1Total2Per1Per2Per3Per4
   4   9

So i am trying to combine the fields that have a similar name so it is like this:

CostTotalPer

Hope that makes sense

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

@Rohitpm

I think you first need to transpose your data so it's long rather than wide, then look at how to identify the same names (in your example it was easy because you just need to remove the number but I suspect your actual data will be much harder). After that you can crosstab the data back into it's original format.

I'm not expecting your final workflow to be a simple as this but this should get you started.

If you want to post some examples of the actual headers that you are getting I can help you further

xml.PNG

Rohitpm
8 - Asteroid

Cool thanks alot :)

Labels