Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Collapsing similarly named/duplicate columns by summing values

alpro-23
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I am completely new to Alteryx and I am trying to do a workflow that can collapse all similarly named columns by summing the values within the column. My values currently are dummy variables hence all in 0 / 1. 

Thus far, I can't find any similar posts on Alteryx regarding similarly named columns and summing values. 

Would appreciate help from anyone on this topic!

** In my actual workflow, I have more than 100 columns that faces this issue... hence I chose not to do this manually (ie. typing 'pool' and 'roof') in my workflow. Any way to automate this?**

Input:

alpro-23_0-1619438620431.png

Output:

alpro-23_1-1619435109482.png

4 REPLIES 4
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @alpro-23 I mocked up an approach to tackle this challenge. The approach essentially pivots your data and then uses the text to column tool to split your fields based on _ and then aggregates the data and pivots back to a horizontal format. Let me know what you think?  

Pivot_260421.JPG

alpro-23
7 - Meteor

Thanks Joseph for your quick reply! 

I'm afraid I may have misled the question. My actual columns are not separated by a delimiter ('_'). Instead, they just have a number at the back to differentiate the column names. 

In this case, I'm not sure if a number can be used as a delimiter? 

I'm wondering if a combination of regex and wildcard character would work... But I'm quite new to coding and alteryx so I'm not sure how I can actually do it...

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I've amended my workflow it uses regex to find the digit at the end of the column name.

Pivot_260421.JPG

RaviP
8 - Asteroid

Hi @alpro-23,

If the column names are having numbers as suffix then you could also this

RaviP_0-1619440424843.png

Labels