Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Collapse Dates into ranges

samkp
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I want to know if I can collapse dates?

Input

MEMBERCOVERAGE PERIOD

M15/1/2015
M16/1/2015
M17/1/2015
M18/1/2015
M19/1/2015
M110/1/2015
M111/1/2015
M13/1/2016

Output

MEMBERSTART SERVICESTOP SERVICE
M15/1/201512/1/2015
M13/1/20164/1/2016

I don't want to use the Min and Max as it will not give the break downs in the periods. Can the above output be achieved?

5 REPLIES 5
Storm
9 - Comet

As with everything in Alteryx, multiple approaches are possible. Here's mine.

• First, sort by member number and coverage period (both ascending).
  • Next, insert multi-record tool, title field STOP SERVICE. Format as date. Formula is:
    IF [MEMBER] = [Row-1:MEMBER] and DateTimeDiff([COVERAGE PERIOD],[Row-1:COVERAGE PERIOD],"months") = 1
    then DateTimeadd([COVERAGE PERIOD],1,"months")
    else null() endif
  • Next, a second multi-record tool, title field START SERVICE. Format as date. Formula is:
    IF [MEMBER] = [Row-1:MEMBER]
    and DateTimeDiff([COVERAGE PERIOD],[Row-1:COVERAGE PERIOD],"months") = 1
    and !isnull([STOP SERVICE]) then [Row-1:START SERVICE]
    else [COVERAGE PERIOD] endif
  • Next, a summarize tool. Group by MEMBER, then START SERVICE, and get the MAX of STOP SERVICE. Title this field STOP SERVICE within the summarize tool.
  • Finally, add a formula tool, have it look at STOP SERVICE, and apply this formula:

if isnull([STOP SERVICE]) then DateTimeadd([START SERVICE],1,"months") else [STOP SERVICE] ENDIF

Test it out, examine the outputs at various steps, make sure it's doing what you want. I tested it with success on your dataset, then I expanded your dataset, adding other members, and other months, all out of sequence. Output seemed correct to me.

Storm
9 - Comet

Example workflow attached.

ax_comm_scrnsht_collapse_dates.png

samkp
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @Storm. Your solution is excellent. 

I am kinda having trouble with the "STOP" function..See attached excel sheet. I am guessing it has to do with way to sort but I tried to my level best..and still couldn't get the o/p. Any help on this is greatly appreciated!!

Not all records are of same scenario. The logic works where the where the row-1 record date is greater than the row date (example "transfer to" rows from the i/p file) but there are some records where the row-1 record date is less than the row date (transfer from rows from the i/p file).. Can we include both the scenarios in the logic?

samkp
6 - Meteoroid

See attached workflow

samkp
6 - Meteoroid

I kinda played around and found the solution

Labels