Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cluster Analysis Report - Meaning of Avg_Distance, Max_Distance and Separation

Ricardo380
5 - Atom

Hello again guys!

So, I'm running cluster analysis with K-Centroid Cluster Analysis Tool and I think I'm having pretty good results! But, in order to get a complete detailed analysis (Because i have to present this to a Jury Set and my grade depends on it), I need to know the meaning of the Avg_Distance, Max_Distance and Separation that appear on the reporting snippet - a picture is annexed. I can't find it online, either here or on google...

Edit: Also, what does the principal components 1 and 2 refer to?

Thank you very much in advance, community!

Ricardo

3 REPLIES 3
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Avg Distance: In average linkage hierarchical clustering, the distance between two clusters is defined as the average distance between each point in one cluster to every point in the other cluster.

^ from google

Max Distance: the greatest distance between points in a single cluster

^ from my knowledge after a quick google

Seperation: the distance of clusters from each other

^ from my knowledge after reading this article: https://shapeofdata.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/modularity-measuring-cluster-separation/

As for your principal components question, I wrote an essay on the subject many moons ago, here's a link, it may be useful and answer the questions you have: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxr8mt2tWVIwWnU2b08wQ3h0aFU/edit

Ben

Ricardo380
5 - Atom

Hey BenMoss

Thank you for your answer. It was pretty clear and helped me a lot. 

Kind regards,

Ricardo

RobsonShimada
5 - Atom

I have a question related to your topic, Ricardo380:

What are the distances of the average distance and max distance? I would like to convert this to kilometers, actually, but since the Alteryx Documentation is not informing the units it became pretty difficult to convert.

Thanks in advance,   

Labels