Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cleanup file names

Nidhin
8 - Asteroid

Hi

I am trying to clean up the file name before data comparison.
The file names samples are as below

What I am trying to do is to remove all the numbers and special characters and month except if the month and number does not have anything between it as in MAR007.
I tried to do this by RegEx Replace().But I am not able to get the expected output for the last item.

And i also want to remove underscore only if there is more than one (FileName__01) or if it the last character in File Name (FileName__)Is there a way to do this using regex replace. ?

FileNameExpected CleanNameActualOutput
FileName_MAR_20_09_18FileNameFileName
FileName_MAR_20 09 19FileNameFileName
FileName_MAR-20-09-20FileNameFileName
FileName_MAR-200921FileNameFileName
FileName_MAR007_20_09_21FileName_MAR007FileName

Thanks

Nidhin

3 REPLIES 3
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I managed to get your expected result with the following regex formula, but I'm not quite sure what you want with the double underscores - can you please post an example.

REGEX_Replace(REGEX_Replace([FileName], '([\_\-][A-Z]{3}[\_\-]\d+.*)', ''),'([\_\-]\d+.*)','')

regex formula.png

Nidhin
8 - Asteroid

Thanks a lot @DavidP .

This is exactly what i was looking for.

I was doing this step by step.So when the numerical are removed i will end up with multiple _.So i was looking for a way to remove _ only if there are more than one.Since i wanted to retain the ones between the FileName.(EgFileName_Mar i want to keep it but FileName__ i want to remove)

But i guess the one you provided is doing all this in a single formula,

Nidhin

megha1311
6 - Meteoroid

You may try this expression as well :). This uses a formula tool.

REGEX_Replace([FileName],"(_\w\w\w(_|-|\s)\d+(_|-|\s)\d+(_|-|\s)\d+)|(_\w\w\w(_|-|\s)\d+)|((_|-|\s)\d+(_|-|\s)\d+(_|-|\s)\d+)","")

Labels