Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cleaning up UK 44 Telephone Numbers

datadabbler
7 - Meteor

I have six columns with telephone numbers in, some have the UK 44 number at the beginning, which would be the best way to remove only the 44 if present at the beginning/left? It is a large dataset even for Designer, so looking for the most efficient step, thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @datadabbler,

I would use a Formula Tool as it is more efficient 9/10 times compared to Regex. A formula like this could work:

IF Left([Phone Number], 2)="44" THEN Substring([Phone Number],2,Length([Phone Number])) ELSE [Phone Number] ENDIF

It checks if the first two characters are 44, If yes then shorten the string, if no then leave it.

IraWatt_0-1661245158392.png

One thing to note is I changed the column to text with the select tool before the formula. 

The community has some quick and easy videos on formulas and the Formula Tool here https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Writing%20...

Any questions or issues please ask

Ira Watt
Technical Consultant
Watt@Bulien.com 

DataNath
17 - Castor

To tackle all 6 columns at once, the best way is with a Multi-Field Formula. For the 44 at the start, you can just use the TrimLeft() function - if the numbers don't start with 44 then they'll be ignored. If your numbers fields are numeric then you'll need to use the ToString() function too, as below:

ToNumber(trimleft(tostring([_CurrentField_]),'44'))

If they're already strings then you can just use:

trimleft([_CurrentField_],'44')

DataNath_0-1661245763396.pngDataNath_1-1661245774587.png

datadabbler
7 - Meteor

Both of these solutions worked perfectly, thank you. I went with the formula tool as it was quicker, but the Multi-Field Formula is a very neat solution, which I used for another problem I was having. Thanks both.

Labels