Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Announcement | We'll be doing maintenance during the next 2-3 hours, which may impact your experience. Thanks for your patience as we work on improving the community!

Clean Name Variations

Highlighted
Fireball

My source data is messy.  Due to variations and errors, a single company may have multiple names. 

I have copied an example -- Scientific Atlanta.   Is there an simple/elegant way to reduce this to 1, w/o having to type an expression for each potential scenario?  (Ignore the #s at the end of each row.  This is the sound of records for each name variation and is irrelevant.)

Example...

SCIENTIFC ATLANTA 3
SCIENTIFC-ATLANTA 1
SCIENTIFIC  ATLANTA 4
SCIENTIFIC -ATLANTA 1
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA 326
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA 8 1
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA M 2
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA, INC. 9
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTIC 1
SCIENTIFIC- ATLANTA 2
SCIENTIFIC- ATLANTA, INC. 2
SCIENTIFIC-ATLANTA 166
SCIENTIFIC-ATLANTA, INC 485
SCIENTIFIC-ATLANTA, INC. 15
SCIENTIFIC-ATLANTIC 171
SCIENTIFIC-ATLANTIC, INC. 1
SCIENTIFICA-ATLANTA, INC. 3

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @hellyars 

Have you taken a look at the Fuzzy Match tool?

Check this article out:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Fuzzy-Match/ta-p/45485

Cheers,

Highlighted
Quasar

this is exactly the scenario for the fuzzy match tool!

Highlighted

@hellyars This little macro might help identifying a commonality among the strings.

Highlighted
Fireball

@Thableaus   

I tried using the Fuzzy Match tool.  I have 72 input records of a company.  There are multiple variations of the company's name.  The Fuzzy Match tool outputted 3,249 records (set to output match score).  Help?

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 11.47.20 AM.png

Highlighted

@hellyars I have attached a flow that illustrates how to deal with the output of the fuzzy match tool.

Hope this helps.

Labels