ALTERYX INSPIRE | Join us this May for for a multi-day virtual analytics + data science experience like no other! Register Now
The Alteryx Community will be temporarily unavailable for a time due to scheduled maintenance on Thursday, April 22nd. Please plan accordingly.

Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Clean Name Variations

hellyars
11 - Bolide

My source data is messy.  Due to variations and errors, a single company may have multiple names. 

I have copied an example -- Scientific Atlanta.   Is there an simple/elegant way to reduce this to 1, w/o having to type an expression for each potential scenario?  (Ignore the #s at the end of each row.  This is the sound of records for each name variation and is irrelevant.)

Example...

SCIENTIFC ATLANTA 3
SCIENTIFC-ATLANTA 1
SCIENTIFIC  ATLANTA 4
SCIENTIFIC -ATLANTA 1
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA 326
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA 8 1
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA M 2
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA, INC. 9
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTIC 1
SCIENTIFIC- ATLANTA 2
SCIENTIFIC- ATLANTA, INC. 2
SCIENTIFIC-ATLANTA 166
SCIENTIFIC-ATLANTA, INC 485
SCIENTIFIC-ATLANTA, INC. 15
SCIENTIFIC-ATLANTIC 171
SCIENTIFIC-ATLANTIC, INC. 1
SCIENTIFICA-ATLANTA, INC. 3

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @hellyars 

Have you taken a look at the Fuzzy Match tool?

Check this article out:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Fuzzy-Match/ta-p/45485

Cheers,

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

this is exactly the scenario for the fuzzy match tool!

BetterFerret
7 - Meteor

@hellyars This little macro might help identifying a commonality among the strings.

hellyars
11 - Bolide

@Thableaus   

I tried using the Fuzzy Match tool.  I have 72 input records of a company.  There are multiple variations of the company's name.  The Fuzzy Match tool outputted 3,249 records (set to output match score).  Help?

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 11.47.20 AM.png

BetterFerret
7 - Meteor

@hellyars I have attached a flow that illustrates how to deal with the output of the fuzzy match tool.

Hope this helps.

hellyars
11 - Bolide

@BetterFerret 

Sorry for the delay.  I love this little macro.  But, how can I use it with different name "families" simultaneously?

BetterFerret
7 - Meteor

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "familes" but I will assume it is grouping in which case wrapping the macro in a grouped batch macro may do the trick.

Labels