Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Clarification required on Join Tool

ravikumar060987
8 - Asteroid

Dear Team,

Please assist me in using Alteryx's Join Tool.

There is a column with blank values in the left anchor file as well. In the right anchor, a separate excel file with only the matching values from the left anchor file is attached.

But now the problem is that I need to include an empty cell in the 'Right Anchor.' How can I do this?

And the right anchor holds a large list of records, so I can manually complete those in the Filter as well.

Please assist.

4 REPLIES 4
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @ravikumar060987 

Based on my understanding on your requirement, initially we need to do append fields then do the filter.

If you have sample input and output, then please share. Can work on the best possible solution to share it with you.

Many thanks

Shanker V

ravikumar060987
8 - Asteroid

@ShankerV 

Please refer the below sample data set, which is connected to the Left anchor. Column A [Data Set 1] has very big list.
Now I need to compare with another data set and get only A, C G with <Blank> in it.

How I can do it in Join Tool?

ravikumar060987_0-1671808998179.png

KSowers
Alteryx
Alteryx

Could you provide a sample of both the Left and the Right datasets going into the Join?

rmc
7 - Meteor

Hello!

Not sure I get this 100% right. But if I do, then your left entries with the blank value are currently 'ending up' in the L output, meaning what you may just want a Left Join. 

For this, add a Union tool after your Join tool and link it to both the L and the J outputs of your joins. In the output of the Union you should at this point have all you need. And if you don't want the whole L output, but just the blank entries then put a filter on the connection between the Join L output and the union.

Does this help?

Labels