Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Choosing file based on output of another tool

cmdaglish
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am looking to schedule a workflow I have created which pulls data from my company's bank statements. 

The bank statements are saved out with the name 'Bank Statement DD.MM.YY'.  

I want the flow to run daily picking up the bank statement for the previous working day. For example, on the 14th January 2021 I would need to choose the file named 'Bank Statement 13.01.21'.

I created a working flow to capture this, however my company's server won't let me upload the flow due to an 'Invalid Directory'

I was therefore wondering if I could change the input file path based on the output of another tool. 

For example, I have created a mini flow to produce the previous working day, e.g. 13.01.21.

I also have a input data tool with brings in the file 'Bank Statement 04.01.21'

Could I somehow update the file path of the input data tool with the output of the previous working day to bring in 'Bank Statement 13.01.21'?

Many Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @cmdaglish,

Have you tried the dynamic input tool? You can connect it to the directory you will always pull the data files from (input data source template), then feed the new file name in as a row from your previous tool, and use the setting "change file/table name." This might accomplish your goal!

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @cmdaglish, assuming your workflow will manually be run by the user on the Alteryx Gallery, you can introduce a Date Interface tool and parameterize the date in the file name. This way the user has the flexibility to select the date (in your case the previous day) and run the report for any day. The image below is an illustration of what I am referring to:

AbhilashR_0-1611282890051.png

Labels