Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Choose between two input files

PKoya
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am working on a workflow that is connected to small SQL table which contain department names.

There are often additions to the list of departments. However, the SQL table is only updated after month end reporting is complete as multiple other reports refer to this table.

I would like to build a manual an option that in case required, user can upload an Excel based version of the SQL Table with same columns but with the additional rows for the new department names. For this I have created a workflow which is an analytics app.

Default selection when you open the app is Radio button 1. This will allow the input to source data from the SQL Table.

Upon Selecting Radio button 2, this would enable user to upload the Excel file with the desired input.

Once it is determined which input would be used, the selected input needs to be joined with the data in Container labeled Database.

I am having two issues:

1. I am receiving below errors. Not sure how to resolve these as Tool #22 should ideally be disabled. 
    1. PKoya_1-1618473591431.png

2. PKoya_0-1618473548118.png

2. No sure which tool to use to join selected input to Database table.

Any help would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @PKoya I made some changes to your workflow I've used a condition to enable tool containers. Also you can't have Interface tool being disabled in Tool containers. What I have done for the Action tool for the file browse is untick the option for Required therefore it won't error if users does not upload a file.

App_150421.JPG

PKoya
8 - Asteroid

Thank you, @JosephSerpis,

Do you know how I can feed the selected input into the join tool.

Each Input anchor only accepts one feed. Do I use the condition tool for this as well?

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @PKoya I would use a Union tool like the screenshot below. The union tool can work with one stream so whatever option you user picks, data should then stream into the join. You will get the error below because no meta data is pushed to the join tool however when the app runs, that error will disappear as one of the tool containers will be enabled.

App_150421_v1.JPG

PKoya
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @JosephSerpis,

This worked exactly as I want... Appreciate your help. 😀

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Here's another option to consider, where the user doesn't have to choose which input:

Get your departments from the database.  Also bring in an Excel file with a list of new departments.

Use a Union tool then a Unique tool to get a combined list of departments.

Chris

PKoya
8 - Asteroid

That's also another good approach to consider. The reason I have an option for manual upload option is to ensure that the list is most updated as the department names keep changing. Manual input is required a few times every quarter and if its still referring to the older list, the data would come out wrong. But I think this is a good idea in case both inputs are fairly static.

Labels