Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Choose between three

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

I have an app where the user has an option to choose between three selections.  They can choose a short report, a long report or a third referred to as an extended report.  The short and long are Allocate reports and the third, extended, report runs a macro to build a report.  I've tried the detour tool but I don't think it'll work.  I've tried a filter but since I'm not searching for a variable to change I'm not sure how I'd use it?  I could create a variable, use the interface tool to change the variable then use the filter tool to separate it out from there on...

anyone have anything better?  I'm all ears.

Thank you,

Brad

Choose between three.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

What if you put each branch into a tool container, then you could use the selector tool to indicate which tool container to disable/enable based on which path you wanted it to take for each? Then it would only run through the Allocate report branch if you selected Short or Long (by indicating the tool container is enabled for Allocate Report and disabled for the macro), and then would only run through the macro if you selected Extended (enabling macro tool container, disabling Allocate tool container). Would that accomplish what you're looking for?

NJ

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

It might work but I went with a double filter.  I added a column named 'type' which would hold one of the three types "short, long, extended" placed there by the interface tools(List box).  The first filter separates the macro report from the allocate reports and the second filter separates the two allocate reports.  In the end it all comes back together with the union tool.  I'll have to try the containers on the next app.  Thank you for your time and idea.  Much appreciated.

Brad

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

@NicoleJohnson I'm currently using a list box to select the type of report and would rather use a radio button so the user will only select one report at a time.  I thought of using a condition tool but can't seem to get it to work with my action tool to update the formula.  Can you (or anyone reading this) see what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you,

Brad

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You actually shouldn't need the connection tool or the action tool - you can connect the radio buttons directly to your formula tool. See image below - the formula you typed in the condition tool can just go directly into the formula tool. That should do the trick!

radiobuttons.JPG

NJ

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

@NicoleJohnson  I think I figured it out.   I'm using the radio buttons so the user doesn't accidently click more than one box which was possible in the List Box tool.  Any extra checks would crash the app.  I tried using a condition statement to choose between the three but couldn't figure how exactly to use it since the condition tool only gave me a true/false output.  I then decided to go back to your suggestion for using containers.  IEach container holds a separate report and the radio buttons update each accordingly (expanded or collapsed).  Works great.  Just overthought the problem.  Thank you for all your help.

Brad

Labels