Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Child / Parent Relationship Count and Hierarchy Build

Masond3
8 - Asteroid

Good Morning Community, 

I am hoping you can help me.

i am not sure how to describe my problem statement but hopefully with the attached and examples it will make sense 

In my input file i have 4 columns (See below), i would like to produce 2 different analysis based on those 4 Columns.

Tab : Data 

Company ID (Long) (Column A)

Parent Company ID (Long) (Column B)

Company Name (Column C)

Legal (Column D)

Outcome 1 : 

For a given Hierarchy determined by "Column A & "Column B count how many children are associated to the parent, and how many times is the Legal column field not null for that given hierarchy

NB : Please note some Company ID (Long) will not have parent and therefore is the parent in its own right

Outcome  :

Parent Company ID (Long)

Count of Children

Legal Count 

001j000000hdRDpAAM

Outcome 2 :

Using the data from the Data tab, i have documented the current hierarchy (Column A - C). As you can see from this hierarchy it’s a very flat Structure. However within this Hierarchy two record  have been identified as  Legal.

Rules of the Road. 

• For a given relationship hierarchy if there is more than 1 in the legal count, a new record needs to be created at the top of the tree.
  • For any record in that relationship hierarchy where the legal column is populated.
    • I would like to create a new Parent record ( in my example the naming convention was "New Record -" + Company Name
    • I would then like to link the legal Record (child) to the new legal parent Record.
    • Once the Legal child / parent relationship is built, the Parent of the legal record would need to be linked to the top most parent.

Example 

"Mason Management Limited" is identified legal

Company ID (Long)

Parent Company ID (Long)

Company Name

Legal

001j000000hdPYZAA2

001j000000hdRDpAAM

Mason Management Limited

Y

Creating the Legal child parent relationship 

Name 

Company ID (Long)

Legal

New Record - Mason Management Limited

Mason Management Limited

001j000000hdPYZAA2

Y

The final Hierarchy output is in column M-O

Looking forward to your help and response 

13 REPLIES 13
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Masond3 ,

I was able to understand the first outcome.

Here is a workflow for the task.

atcodedog05_1-1601650845338.png

Output:

atcodedog05_0-1601650827367.png

Second one isnt clear. Can give more clarity.

Hope this helps : )

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😊👍

Masond3
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your Quick response. I am struggling to articulate point 2. But basically i am trying to re build a hierarchy based on some rules / definitions.

So if break it down in the simplest form ; 
Any time a record has the legal field populated, i  would like to create a new record with is the parent of the legal record 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Masond3 ,

Here is what i was able to come up with.

Output:

atcodedog05_1-1601651630331.png

Hope this helps : ) Check and let me know. I have added Null() row just as padding filter it of using Filter tool if you dont need it.

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

Masond3
8 - Asteroid

Hey, 

This is fantastic You have already solved 3 out of the 4 asks in matter of seconds. 

So in the flow that you have kindly provided  (if you look at the hierarchy tab in the excel (column G- I) you have replicated this 🙂

The next step is, because there is 2 legal companies in the overall Hierarchy , i would like to create a new company (which will become the new Ultimate parent) .(this only applies if there is more than 2 legal companies in a hierarchy ) 

Then with the two new parent records you have created , Link these records to the New Ultimate Parent 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Masond3 ,

Confused can you show with a example.

Masond3
8 - Asteroid

Of Course. 

So Your flow has currently produced the following 

Masond3_2-1601653122835.png

What i would like to do now is to create another Parent (which enables me to group these new newly created records together) (however it should only group the new records together which were in that existing relationship hierarchy)  

Masond3_1-1601653039236.png

My final outcome i would like to achieve the following .

Masond3_1-1601655232464.png

I know this is visual but if you compare the expected hierarchy above to the one below, (basically we are saying for that relationship we are creating 3 new records, the 2 parents for the companies where legal = Y, and a new parent to group them together)

Masond3_2-1601655274818.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Masond3 ,

I am able to get the desired outputs.

Workflow

atcodedog05_0-1601655146511.png

Outcome 2

atcodedog05_1-1601655175347.png

Outcome 3

atcodedog05_2-1601655209075.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

atcodedog05_3-1601655241023.png

Please check and let me know.

Hope this helps : )

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind😀👍

Masond3
8 - Asteroid

Hey 

This looks good . 

I decided to add an additional row to the data set to see what would happen.

Company ID (Long)Parent Company ID (Long)Company NameLegal
0013a00001klsYNAAY001j000000hdNg4AAEABC LtdY

Whilst checking the final outcome i can see that  "ABC Ltd" got grouped to the "Global" record. 

Masond3_0-1601655942377.png

This isn't correct as "ABC LTD" is a new relationship and there is only 1 legal company in that relationship 

in the output , can you add the following 

• Parent Company ID (Long)
  • And i think we need to create a column called "External id".

The Concept so far is any time a record has the legal field populated, we are creating  a new record which is is the parent of the legal record 

In the External ID column for the new parents of legals records, can we populate an auto number + the Child company id 

Example 

Name Company ID (Long)LegalExternal ID 
New Record - Mason Management Limited  001+001j000000hdPYZAA2
        Mason Management Limited001j000000hdPYZAA2Y 

Thank you for your time and assistance 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Masond3 

So where should ABC LTD row come ?

And when you say different you mean Parent ID is different right?

I will look into the external ID

Labels