Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Changing a string of characters into a number

knobsdog
8 - Asteroid

I have a Request Number that looks like this:  PO-2019-06-03_073703.  I inserted a formula to take out the hyphens and underscores, Replace(Replace([Request Number],"-",""),"_",""), to just leave PO20190603073703.  I need to use the count of those Request Numbers in a Crosstab to show volume but it keeps throwing an error b/c it's a string and not a number.  I've tried changing it to a fixed decimal, int, double, etc in the select statement but it won't seem to work.  Any idea how I can get that string of letters and numbers to act like a number?  The only other option I can think of is to remove the PO at the beginning.

1 REPLY 1
pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @knobsdog 

You can temporarily make them into a number in the formula tool by using the tonumber() function. 

But if I understood it correctly, you can just plug in a data cleansing to remove punctuation and a summarize to count it. Attached an example.

pedrodrfaria_0-1613095044990.png

Can you provide more detail on the data structure to further help you with it?

Pedro.

Labels