Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Changing Paths

Tahir89
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am running a workflow which uses the dynamic input tool to open the latest Excel file, but sometimes people have these files open and it throws an error.

Is there a way I can create an alternative workflow incase I get an error in another tool?

5 REPLIES 5
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Tahir89 

The driver used to access Excel files prevents multiple applications from using it at the same time so if someone has the file open, you won't be able to work with it I'm afraid. 

Tahir89
7 - Meteor

What if there is another older file? Rather than reconfiguring the dynamic input tool I want to know if it's possible once an error is flagged if there's a way to make Alteryx jump on to the other flow

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

How do you run the workflow? Do you trigger it manually in your Designer? Or is the process scheduled on a server?

Tahir89
7 - Meteor

The process is triggered manually in Designer

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

In which case the easiest thing to do would be to leverage the Conditional Runner from the CReW Macros pack. This will allow you to run the process looking for the latest file followed by another module picking the second latest in case the first one fails.

Labels