Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Changing Macro Input in Analytic App

destroyboot
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am using this magnificent macro in many of my workflows: https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Read_All_Excel_Files/58dd51b3a18e9e18fca64172

Recently, I have been asked to turn my workflows into an Analytic Apps, but due to this macro being a core of my workflows I am unable to do so without pasting the whole macro into the workflow.

Basically, when someone opens Analytic App, the "choose folder" option should be able to change the directory in the macro. Please refer to the attached screenshots.

Thank you for your help.

Matt

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can connect a folder browse to this tool to allow this behaviour and then overwrite your placeholder value.

HOWEVER, anlalytic apps hosted on the gallery can't be used for this type of use case. Reason being, when you use a file browse, alteryx loads the file onto the server that you have selected. If you are using a folder browse, the Alteryx Server does not have access to the users local machine, so can't go into that folder and then read it in, because it cannot communicate with the users computer, does that make sense?

Ben

destroyboot
8 - Asteroid

I have downloaded the tool to my local machine so it is not possible that it connects with gallery as it works even with internet connection turned off.

@BenMoss wrote:

You can connect a folder browse to this tool to allow this behaviour and then overwrite your placeholder value.

I have tried adding a folder browse before this tool. However it does not change the input address. I have even checked to replace specific string that is responsible for folder browsing in this tool, but it still does not update the directory line.

Directory3.PNG
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Because it's embedded within another macro your value should actually overwrite the value above the one you have selected; it looks like you haven't put a placeholder in.

2018-11-09_12-38-01.png

I have also attached an example; but please acknowledge the limitation that I outlined in my first post.

Ben

destroyboot
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much for your help, the solution worked as it should.

About the limitation, I guess that the only way for it to work for multiple users would be to create workflow dependency with the macro that is being stored on some server that everyone has access to or to implement said macro as a part of a workflow.

Labels