Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Changing Field Names in the App

Adarsh_R3
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your time,

The input file's column names are not standard. Is it possible to map the correct field names to the ones in the file using an interface tool? Below is an example.

Acc NoAmnt
451510-545.7
451510-545.7
423100-1457.88

How the field names should be: 

Account NumberFunctional Amount
451510-545.7
451510-545.7
423100-1457.88

for this, I have a reference file 

Field Name
Account Number
Functional Amount

so I want to let users decide and map the correct field names from the reference file. 

I found a similar solution here

But instead of letting the user type, I would like them to use, for eg, a drop-down tool to map the correct field names.  

Thanks in advance for your help

6 REPLIES 6
Adarsh_R3
8 - Asteroid

Adarsh_R3_0-1627238185117.png

Here is a solution that I have tried but I'm not able to update the fields in the drop-down tool when I input different files

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

How many columns will you be doing this for?

with two it's fairly straight forward (two drop downs updating two selects (or dynamic renames))... with like 20 it can a bit harder.

Adarsh_R3
8 - Asteroid

@apathetichell 

The number of columns can range from 5 -10. 

But as shown in the example the field headers sometimes will be from different languages so we need to rename the field headers with the standard set of headers. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Do you mean that you can't get the app to change the dropdown field names on the fly - or you can't get it to run manually when you add new data to that macro? You'll need to run to refresh - unless you do a chained app. That adds a step to make it a fairly complicated project.

The bulk for me would be  a batch macro where each column I require is matched against a full list of columns in the datasource and then selected and renamed and everything is then unioned together... The macro you posted takes a different approach but I can't really judge it from a photo.

Adarsh_R3
8 - Asteroid

Yes, @apathetichell exactly like u mentioned the field names in the drop-down is not changing dynamically. Even when I select different files the fields in the dropdown tool is stays the same. 

Not sure why this is happening. 

Here is a similar solution that I found, but the field names in the dropdown tool are static.  

I've also attached the sample workflow, thanks for helping! 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux
Labels