Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Change specific values in column based on value in another column

dpakapd
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have a table similar to the sample shown below. It is a larger table but the representation below captures the information layout in it:

Value                   Group_Num

Resistor10
Ammeter20
Inductor30
Resistor30
Capacitor40
Resistor20
Resistor10
Inductor30

Resistor should have Group_Num of 10 but there are instances where the value is set as 20 or 30. How can I clean my data such that I can replace "Resistor-20" and 'Resistor-30' with "Resistor-10"? Since it is a large dataset, the resistor in column A (or any value actually) could have multiple values in column B. But the correct combination is:

Resistor-10

Ammeter-20

Inductor-30

Capacitor-40.

How can I find the incorrect combinations and correct the values in Column Group-Num?

I tried the 'Filter' tool to extract all 'Resistor-10' combinations. For the values that didn't get filtered out (Filter 'F') how can I compare the Filtered vs Unfiltered parts to see if 'Resistor-20' or 'Resistor-30' combinations exist and suitably replace the '20' and '30' with '10'?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @dpakapd 

Try this in a formula tool for Group_Num.

IF [Value] = 'Resistor'

Then '10' <You may not need the quotes depending on data type

else [Group_Num]

Endif

To find them in a filter tool, you could do a custom filter:

[Value] = 'Resistor' AND [Group_Num] != '10' <again, quotes may not be needed depending on data type

dpakapd
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Luke!

However in the sample dataset, I showed I know the value as 'Resistor'. But in the large dataset, there are different part numbers in column A and I don't know each part number. How can I tackle such a situation?

I tried the Cross Tab tool and I was able to group by column B and see where I am getting duplicates, i.e. for which rows I am getting duplicates. But is there a simpler way to assign correct group number based on the value in column A (esp when there are 3000 different possibilities for column A)?

Thanks.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @dpakapd 

The best approach would be to use the find and replace tool. Keep a master list of the values & acceptable numbers, and just use the find and replace to substitute. The tool is fairly straightforward but if you give some more sample data someone can probably mock up a quick example.

dpakapd
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Luke!

Labels