Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Change proxy connection in download tool

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

Anyone know how I'm able to change the proxy connection within a Download tool, altering the proxy server address and port? For example any way to do this using the headers?

13 REPLIES 13
AndrewW
11 - Bolide

Ok, I've found out how to do this. The problem was when I access a website through IE, the browser used at this organistion, the proxy server connection is set up be default and all traffic is routed through that proxy server connection. Check Tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings to see the proxy server settings, it has the address and port thorugh which you connect to the internet.

Accessing the internet via an Alteryx download tool bypassed this proxy as it isn't using IE, and subsequently failed as the 'non-proxy' server Alteryx is using has no permissions to be using the internet.

In the Download tool there's no way to alter the port and address of the proxy, meaning for me to take data from a website isn't possible using the Download tool.

The solution was to install Curl.exe, which acts as a middle man between Alteryx and the internet yet allows the proxy settings to be entered as part of the command arguments to use Curl.

As Curl.exe is a command line executable I could write a simple command line script and run it through a Run Command tool. My script syntax is:

Curl.exeLocation -x ProxyAddress:ProxyPort -U Username:Password UrlOfSite -x OutputFileLocation

For example:

C:\curl.exe -x proxy1:8080 -U MyUsername:MyPassword http://www.currency-iso.org/dam/downloads/lists/list_one.xml -o C:\OutputFile.txt

That script would output the contents of the URL to the file called OutputFile.txt.

You can get your proxy settings by checking, in IE 11 at least, the proxy server settings at Tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings 

Scott
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The Download tool and other parts of Alteryx that access the network all pick up the proxy configured in the system.  It's the same proxy you see when looking in the Internet Properties control panel via IE.  Under the "Connections" tab, click the "Lan Settings" button:

InternetProperties.jpg

Everything will work best when the proxy is explicity configured rather than using  the "Automatically detect settings" or "Use automatic Configuration script" options.  (use your proxy info, not the example given below):

lansettings.png

If your proxy requires a username and password, this can be configured in user settings or system settings.  For User settings, it's under Options->User Settings->Edit Users Settings and then the Advanced tab:

user settings.png

Check the "Enable Proxy Credentials box and then click the "Configure" button.  You'll get another pop-up showing the currently configured proxy and giving you a place to enter your credentials:

proxy settings.png

If your system proxy configuration changes at some point, Alteryx will detect this and require you to re-confirm your proxy credentials in the Users Settings.  This is to avoid sending your username and password to a proxy server you haven't configured.

All of the above applies to Alteryx 10.1.  Earlier versions had some proxy support, but did not include the username/password configuration.

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

Thanks for the reply Scott. I'm still using 10.0, which has a slightly different settings in the Advanced area. I can see it has a Proxy Settings area, however that is greyed out, perhaps by the organisations IT dept.

Once we upgrade to 10.1 I'll be able to test whether this change will make the Download tool work for my use case while working within a highly restricted and controlled IT environment.

Kuehner
7 - Meteor

I have Version 10.0.9.58645 and I cannot configure the proxy but it looks differently than in your posts:

Capture.PNG

Is that a new option?

I guess it referrs to a configuration script of the IT department?

Cheers Tom

Scott
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Correct.  Proxies can be configured by IT with a scripting mechanism (also sometimes referred to as a PAC file).  Alteryx will report this, as you showed, but won't allow you to enter authentical credentials with this type of configuration.  We felt it was important to be able actually see what proxy server would be getting your username and password.

Scott

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

Following up on this now I've upgraded to 10.1. The Configure button is disbled regardless as to whether I Enable Proxy Credentials. Sadly I'm unable to upload images to this forum as I'm in a highly restricted IT environment. (Note it says 'Configuration script proxy in use' alongside the Configure button.)

Scott
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is correct.  We don't enable proxy credentials if your system proxy is configured using a script.  It must be a manually configured proxy.  Here's a screen shot of the LANSettings control panel showing how the configuration is done.  The first two checkboxes for "Automatically detect settings" and "Use automatic configuration script" need to be unchecked, and the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" box should be checked.  The address and port fields should be set to values appropriate for your environment (check with your IT group).  You may need to click on the "Advanced" button to do more specific configuration of these fields.

Scott

lansettings.png

Kuehner
7 - Meteor

Hi, thank you for your elaborate answer.

Capture.PNG

Unfortunately changing the LAN Settings is not an option for me, since it is all greyed out ... :(

Cheers Tom

Scott
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Sounds like your system is locked down by IT.  The rationale for requiring a manually configured proxy is that we felt if you're going to be entering your credentials, you should be able to see where (the proxy server) those credentials are being sent.  The only way we can show that information is when the proxy is configured explicitly.  I'm sorry this requirement is causing problems.

Scott

Labels