Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Change name based on last value in category name

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

If a Last Name ends with a S  I want to change the Category from whatever it is to something else like cookies.

I assume I need to use a Right function, but I don't know how to mix this with an if statement.

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Here's a quick example of exactly what you're looking to do:

IF RIGHT([Last Name],1) = "S" THEN
"Cookies"
ELSE
[Category]
ENDIF

Notably, you can also use ENDSWITH() To accomplish the same thing and avoid calling out string length

IF ENDSWITH([Last Name],"S") THEN
"Cookies"
ELSE
[Category]
ENDIF
tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

I wanted to point out that if the case of the letter "S" is important, the solutions from @Claje handle case differently.

In the first example, the RIGHT() syntax is case-sensitive so the replacement will only work with an uppercase "S". To make the RIGHT() syntax example case-insensitive, you could:

1)

IF
RIGHT([Last Name]),1) = "S" OR RIGHT([Last Name),1) = "s"
THEN
"Cookies"
ELSE
[Category]
ENDIF

2)

IF
RIGHT(UPPERCASE([Last Name]),1) = "S"
THEN
"Cookies"
ELSE
[Category]
ENDIF

In the second example, the ENDSWITH() syntax defaults to being case-insensitive, therefore, as written both 'S' and 's' would become "Cookies". If case is important, you could add the third parameter to the ENDSWITH() function:

IF
ENDSWITH([Last Name],"S",0) THEN "Cookies" ELSE [Category] ENDIF
Labels