Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Change macro path to absolute when is taken from tool palette (User Settings -> Macros)

tferenc007
7 - Meteor

Hi guys,

Is there any option to change path to absolute when macro is taken from tool palette?

When I take my macro from tool palette and put in canvas in 'Workflow dependencies' I can't see anything.

I would like to share my workflow with colleagues who don't have a mapped the same macros.

I can use  : insert->macro->browse and find the macro but bring macro from tool palette is much more quicker

I'll be very grateful for any tips

Best Regards,

Tom

6 REPLIES 6
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @tferenc007 

How about sharing the workflow as packaged workflow. This would let you to wrap the macro with the workflow.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Assets-and-Packaging-Workflows/ta-p/4...

Hope this helps : )

tferenc007
7 - Meteor

Hi atcodedog05

Thanks for a suggestion, but in my case I need to have an absolute path to macro.  I have one macro in 15 workflows and when I change something in a macro I would like 15 workflows to use most recent one

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @tferenc007 

I guess no other way other than

1. You import the macro each time.

2. You can ask the other users also to map the macros.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Unfortunately there's no way around that. The macros added via user settings are specific to your user on the computer so the file paths are all user specific. This means any tools that are added to your user toolbar will be inserted with your custom user path that will break upon sharing. 

It's for this reason that I don't recommend using that user setting to add tools if you're in an environment where you need to share workflows. Otherwise, just insert from a file location. 

tferenc007
7 - Meteor

Hi guys

Many thanks for a confirmation, it save me a lot of time, no more looking for the solution via Internet:)

I've prepared an unprofessional workaround of this.  As each workflow is saved in XML format, I created the app which read the workflow as a text, replace the piece with a path and save. It allows me to use macro from tool pallet and at the end of day run workflow which change macro paths to absolute. 

PS: It's not tested well:)

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @tferenc007 

Nice and neat method on replacing the path. This is an amazing approach 🙂 definitely bookmarking this 😀. This app has the potential to be much more powerful and super helpful.

Labels