Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Change from v_string to Double

Kjaer
8 - Asteroid

In column G I have a set of numbers in v-string, f.eks 2.012,50 and when I change it to double (because I want to use it as a number i calculation) it is changed til 2,012. I have attached an example

Also f.ex in column A I have 988100. It becoms to 988.100 when I change from v-string to double.

I have changed local setting for thousand-separator to be a period and decimal-symbol to comma. What is wrong?

5 REPLIES 5
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Kjaer,

Don't know if you've attached the wrong CSV, I don't see any of the numbers you've mentioned

IraWatt_0-1653404880083.png

Kjaer
8 - Asteroid

Hi

The numbers are just examples. You can you the file I have attached. If you set separator to ; in the input you get the set correct.

Matt_D
9 - Comet

Hi @Kjaer not sure about the user settings but I just converted Field_1 to double fine, Field_7 and Field_8, I just changed to a recognisable number via formula then to double via select:

Replace(Replace([Field_7], ".", ""), ",", ".") - replacing period with nothing and comma with a period.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I agree with @Matt_D,

IraWatt_0-1653405929779.png

String Functions | Alteryx Help using the replace function is the way to go

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Kjaer,

When I face this kind of transformation, I never directly go to a select tool to do so, you may have to first remove the '.' (which should be your thousands separator) with a formula (replace([fieldXXX], '.', '') to delete this char. Then you can use a select with the option at the botom (Use commas as decimal seprators).

(it worked on my side)

Labels