Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Change directory level (effectively DOS cd ..)

YeahMan
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have source data in a directory structured like C:\2020-21\Source Data\BHE

Using the Directory Tool I have the path stored in the directory variable [Directory]

I want to store the output in C:\2020-21 (up 2 levels)

Is there anyway to perform something similar to the DOS command "cd ..\.." to get to C:\2020-21?

I am currently using the Substring function to hard-code it, but there has to be a more elegant solution. I've looked at the 'Run Command' tool, but even that seems like overkill. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--sue

6 REPLIES 6
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @YeahMan 

Sounds like you may want to use a relative path in your output:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Use-Relative-Paths/ta-p/1160

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@YeahMan Looking for something like this?

Spoiler
ReverseString(SubString(SubString(TrimLeft(ReverseString([Directory]),"\"),FindString(TrimLeft(ReverseString([Directory]),"\"),"\")+1,Length([Directory])),FindString(SubString(TrimLeft(ReverseString([Directory]),"\"),FindString(TrimLeft(ReverseString([Directory]),"\"),"\")+1,Length([Directory])),"\")+1,Length([Directory])))

Spoiler
binuacs_0-1640277069365.png

YeahMan
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @binuacs . That works, but dang it's ugly 😁. I'm going to see if I can construct a regex solution.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@YeahMan RegEx 

REGEX_Replace([Directory], "((.*)\\\w+)\\\w+", "$2")

Spoiler
binuacs_0-1640278030607.png

YeahMan
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @binuacs for the regex. It got me close! I ended up using the following:

REGEX_Replace([Directory],'[\s*[a-z A-Z 0-9]+\\\s*[a-z A-Z 0-9]+\\]*$', '')

as it gives me a little more flexibility in the directory names.

YeahMan
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Luke_C  for the suggestion. I didn't end up using it for this purpose, but I used it for something else.

Labels