Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Chaining

RevlinAbbi
6 - Meteoroid
Hi all,

Hoping you can advise. I have 14 quite complex data flows. They are to be run one after the other. However, I don’t want the end client to run them manually one by one. I’d rather they click one button and the process runs and executed each of the 14 data flows one after the other automatically. How can this be done, can I chain them somehow?

Regards,

Rev
5 REPLIES 5
andyuttley
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Hi @RevlinAbbi 

The CREW Runner Macros are great for this kind of use case:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Using-the-Runner-Macro-Chaining-Workfl...

Do you have / able to have those macros installed?

Andy 

rafalolbert
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @RevlinAbbi,

My best recommendation would be for you to use CREW macro pack and the 2 specific tools that you could consider are: Runner and Conditional Runner.

This way you can chain a series of workflows and make execution of later steps dependent of success of the proceeding ones.

If you don't care about successful executions of previous steps you can use List Runner.

You can download macros from here: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

This provides an intuition of how this looks like (attached workflow is to get you started - please reference your own workflows respectively) - logs are collected and the email gives you clarity of where things break, when they do.

img.JPG

Thanks,

Rafal

#Excuse me, do you speak Alteryx?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @RevlinAbbi 

Using the various Crews runner macros works well if you're running from the Scheduler or in Designer, but they don't work when running from the gallery. 

On the gallery you can get around this by using the built functionality to be able to chain a series of workflows together.  On the Workflow tab of the Workflow - Configuration screen, change type of your workflows to Analytic App.

analytic.png

Once you do this, go into the Interface Designer, clear on the gear and check "On Success - Run Another Analytic App".  

chained.png

and enter the name of the workflow to run.

Check out this post for an interactive lesson on chaining apps

Dan

RevlinAbbi
6 - Meteoroid
This looks like this will be appropriate. I’ve just downloaded the four workflows (workflow1-input, workflow2-process, etc) and the final workflow. I can run each of the workflows but the runall workflow isn’t running. It has an error saying “the entry point is invalid”. So I’m not sure who this runall workflow is able to run the other 4 workflows. Does this example work for anyone else?
RevlinAbbi
6 - Meteoroid
Thanks all, I have this working now. Just changed the flow into an app then chained from there via the interface designer. Works well!
Labels