Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Chaining Application in a loop and storing selections in the order they were selected?

Al12397ey
5 - Atom

The application I am trying to build is that a user can choose a certain option from the interface X number of times and I need to store their selection (and records associated with that selection) and the order in which they were selected.

The idea I had in mind was that whenever a user chooses an option an indicator for "the number of times he went in the loop" would be part of the output 

For example:

In the first loop selection he chooses "DOG" and this outputted as "Output_1"

the 1 would be the first loop

In the second loop he chooses "CAT" and this is outputted as "Output_2"

the 2 would be the 2nd time around the loop

I need to build an application that does this loop X number of times and stores the output based on the order in which selection was made.

Please let me know if this is possible and any help would be appreciated 

2 REPLIES 2
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi! @Al12397ey 

I haven't done this (yet) but the way I would first try to approach this is to see if I could build two chained apps and then point them to each other (hence, creating a 'app' loop) and then I would need to find someway to 'end' one of the apps (likely by throwing an error) and then all results as one goes through the app would write out to a single file with appends. Does this make sense? A very cool concept for sure! I'll try and take a stab at this ...

Joshua

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Al12397ey
5 - Atom

Hi @joshuaburkhow

I actually figured this out, I used a looping concept for the chained Apps and in the app where the User selects an option (dog,cats,hamster etc) I also outputted the DateTime in the file name and a column using the the Datetimenow() function. In the last step I picked up all the files and sorted them by ascending which effectively tells me the order in which they were selected.

Labels