Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Chained Apps not getting fresh yxdb file data

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

First time with the chained app concept.

I'm trying to let the user select from a list box an instance of Salesforce (1st app), then use that selection to offer a list of available tables to query (2nd app).

The first app stores the result successfully in a yxdb file locally.

The chain seems to work, but when I switch the first list to the second choice, and Continue, the list of available tables does not change.

The first app is really simple. The drop down is manually populated with two options.

AlteryxApp1.PNG

The second app has a text input with all the possible tables listed with a flag indicating which instance they belong to. The flag matches one of the two options in the first app. It also has a file input that comes from the SFSelect.yxdb file from the first app. I append these two inputs an filter out the table names that don't apply based on the Instance name. These get fed into the drop down list. The list updates the filter that should take just one table name to send back to a file.

AlteryxApp2.PNG

I am using the same yxdb file in both apps, but since it's always passing data forward, I don't think that's an issue.

What I'm seeing is that the list of possible tables is not changing based on the first selection in the chain. It always gives me the same list.

The chain does work correctly when I choose the first option, so I've got that working sort of.

I can attach my workflow, but will need to remove all the Salesforce connection strings first.

Any ideas out there???

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@asteryx,

You have the right idea, but the setup you have wont work to generate the list in the second app.

While you can connect a tool into the drop down interface, it can only generate data based off information that's available when the workflow is initialized or stored meta data. since the Cross Tab tool can output something entirely different at run time it will only display the fields that were available when you configured the tool.

Attached is an example that should do what you need. The first app outputs two files; one to serve as the input for the second app and the other to be used by the drop down list. This should give you the general idea of how to make this concept work and expand from there.

Hope this helps!

Jimmy

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

Hi and thanks @jrgo! (I had to wait a couple of days to try it due to VPN issues in our system.)

Your advice got my initial chains working. However, I am still having trouble and hoping to find some more help here...

The whole workflow is a dynamic lookup into Salesforce for a specific list of IDs - hoping to make an easy way to quickly query a subset of SF data.

I have multiple links in the chain:

Step 1: present user a list of instances and get user input for Instance (A or B) (We have more than one Salesforce instance (org));

- store input to be used as data input for Step 2 "SFSelect.yxdb"

- store list based on input to use as source of drop down in Step 2 "SFSelectlist.yxdb"

- This step is working

Step 2: present user a list of tables and get user selection for table (SF object) to be queried

- store table name input for Step 3 "SFSelectTable.yxdb"

- (option list is stored in file ahead of time as I can't figure out how to get Salesforce connector to output table name list)

- This step is working

Step 3: present user a list of fields in selected table and get user input for Select list and one field for Where clause, if any

- via Salesforce macro called by app: connect to Salesforce and capture field list for table specified

- macro output is stored by app in "SFFieldlist.yxdb"

- This step works when I run the app in Test View by itself, but it doesn't refresh the output when I run the chain from Step 1

- The Salesforce connector only has [Q] and [lightning bolt] input, so it must be updated by parameters, which is why I run a macro here. I can't see how to turn it into another app in the chain.

Step 4: Construct a valid query to send to Salesforce

- build concatenated list of values provided for "in" portion of where clause

- add 'where field' (from user input) to where clause

- build concatenated list of values provided for select field list

- add select from table name

- build complete query

- via Salesforce macro: send connection info and query to get desired output

- This step is working (but errors due to bad field list)

Here's a pic of the essential section of my Salesforce macro:

AlteryxMacro.PNG

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@asteryx,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to suggest a solution for you without being able to see your workflow/process first hand and what it needs to update. I don't have access to any SFDC environment to sandbox something locally.

You may want to post another topic specific to what's not working to see if anyone may have experience with what you're attempting to accomplish.

Best,

Jimmy

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your response. I'll give you the 'solved' credit for answering my first question :)

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Thank you, @asteryx; much appreciated!

Labels