Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Chained Apps and Dynamic List Box/Tree Inputs

jkilby1991
5 - Atom

Hey everyone, I am still new to Alteryx and Alteryx Apps, so I might be doing this wrong or misunderstanding how to chain apps together.

Firstly, if an app is running in the Gallery, and two users run it at the same time, are the files that Alteryx writes unique to the user/session that is running or does the App/Workflow need to account for it by pre-pending/appending something unique or is there a way to write/pass temporary files to be accessed by the subsequent apps?

Background:

I am trying to create an app for doing Software Inventory based on input from one of our internal tools that is located in a SQL database.

1. App 1 - (ForCommunity...Users.yxwz) Select a Username 
    1. The output will be 5 different Alteryx DB files with the Username pre-pended to the file name
      1. All assets/software for the User
      2. Duplicate software across all assets for the User
      3. Unique software across all assets for the User
      4. Duplicate software List Box input for the User
      5. Unique software Tree List input for the User
  2. App 2 - (Test_SAMUpdateDuplicate...User.yxwz) Select Duplicate Software to Approve/Not Approve/Research Required
    1. Inputs
      1. Duplicate software across all assets for the User (1.1.2)
      2. Duplicate software List Box input  for the User (1.1.4)
        1. **This is broken**
        2. It works if the 1.1.4 source is not pre-pended with the Username by utilizing the "External Source" in the List Box configuration
          1. What I am trying to do is dynamically update that External Source like you can with the Dynamic Input tool, however when attaching the input tool to the List Box tool, it only allows "Fields from Connected Tool" and it will display just my column headers
          2. If I try to dynamically read the contents in and send that to the List Box input to display to the user, it will work as a Workflow, but not as part of the second app in the chain
    2. Outputs
      1. Single DB file with the software disposition on all assets for the User
  3. App 3 - (Test_SAM_UpdateUnique...User.yxwz) Select Unique Software to Approve/Not Approve/Research Require
    1. Inputs
      1. Duplicate software across all assets for the User (1.1.3)
      2. Duplicate software List Box input  for the User (1.1.5)
        1. **This is broken** 
        2. It is the same as App 2's issues

The filter used to show data to users is on the disposition of the software being set as "Research Required". Therefore, User3, User4, and User7 are ones that should show data in the list boxes, but the remaining users should not.

I cleansed some input data and saved it as an XLSX. You will need to update the paths/locations that the data is saved to as these are configured to store to a network fileshare.

1 REPLY 1
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

When you upload the first app in the chain to the Gallery, you have the ability to "manage assets" first (in the lower part of the popup window).  Whatever asset you check will be sent to the Gallery with the app.  What this does is tell Alteryx that they are assets for which you want each user for each run to create 'on the fly' just for them, just for that instance.  So if the result of your chain is output 1, then each user will get their own temp space when the app runs and output 1 will be just for them for just that run.  

Labels