Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Chained Application Feedback Loops

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

I was trying out a scenario with chained applications where you go from one app back to a previous one, and I got it working locally but when I publish to the Gallery it doesn't work.

This is how it should work:

start app -> asks user yes or no with dropdown

- yes will overwrite app3 with option1

- no will overwrite app3 with option 2

option1 app -> display "option1_yes" and trigger start app when completed

option2 app -> display "option2_no" and trigger app4 when completed

app3 -> displays "app3_unchanged" and triggers app4 when completed (these are just default settings to be overwritten)

app4 -> displays "app4"

In designer, when running as an analytic app, this works fine - anytime I select "yes" I see "option2_yes" and then the start app is triggered and I can make another selection. When I run this in the gallery and I select "yes" I'll see the "option2_yes" but app4 is run after app3(option1) and I never get back to the start app. I've even looked on the server at the staging location where the process I just ran is housed and it says that start.yxwz should run next after app3 in interface designer and in the xml of the app. 

It seems like the Gallery is updating app3 correctly except for the setting of running the start app next. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
AndrewSu
Alteryx
Alteryx

@iwilliams , what version of Server/Gallery are you using?  What version of Designer?

Are you able to share the workflow files?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Can you confirm that the workflows are uploaded in one unit (ie that workflows 2-4 are dependencies of workflow 1)

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

@AndrewSu thanks for the reply. I am using v2022.1.1 for both

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

@apathetichell thanks for relying. Yes, they are upload as one unit - see attachments for verificationcapp_gallery.pngcapp_gallery_upload.png

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

packaged workflow attached here @AndrewSu @apathetichell 

AndrewSu
Alteryx
Alteryx

@iwilliams , I see that there was a fix for Chained App behavior in the most recent patch for 2022.1.1.  Did you apply this most recent patch for 2022.1.1?  

see release notes below. 

https://help.alteryx.com/release-notes/server/server-20221-release-notes (i just did a CONTROL F to search "Chained" and found the issue).

Please also see this article I found in the community as well.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Publishing-chained-apps/m-p/395329#M72... 

If this post helps resolve your issue, please mark this post as the solution so that other's in the community can benefit from our collaboration. 

Thanks. 

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

@AndrewSu It looks like the chained app patch was done in version 2022.1.1.25127 and I am on Version: 2022.1.1.40869 Patch: 2, so I should be good version-wise right? 

And I've seen that article while trying to research the issue I am facing. I don't think this article applies to my situation because the apps are chained properly. I've verified on the server staging instance that app3 (overwritten by option1) is pointing to app1 (start app). And when I run app3 directly on the server it triggers app1 after it runs. It's just on the Gallery where app4 is triggered after app3 (overwritten by option1). Do you think this may just be a bug?

AndrewSu
Alteryx
Alteryx

@iwilliams , I just tested your workflow package in my own Designer and Server instance and can confirm that they do not behave the same...  This does look like a bug of sorts. 

Please engage the support team at the link below. 

https://alteryx-community.force.com/CustomerCasePortal/s/createrecord/New_Case_Portal_Case?lang=en

If this helps resolve your issue, please mark this reply as the solution so that others in the community can benefit from our collaboration. 

Thanks.

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

@AndrewSu I think the website is down, but I'll definitely submit a case when it's back up

Labels