Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Chained App - how to allow user to fix errors encoutered before proceeding

MDel
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am new to Alteryx, so I may be missing something really obvious, so would appreciate any help.

I have a chained app with 3 apps in the chain. Each app contains a number of dropdown interface items. The user needs to select a value from a dropdown in App1. App2 will then ask the user more questions based on the dropdown value selected in App1. And similarly App3 will ask the user questions based on the answers given in App2. (So basically a cascading type parameter based on previous selected values)

I have temp output files keeping track of the answers between the various chained apps. So App1 will output a file which will then be used as input by App2. Similarly App2 will output files that will be used as input for App3.

I also have Error Messages that will appear if the user did not select a value in each of the dropdowns. In the Gallery if the user clicks on "NEXT" and one of the conditions for the Error Message is satisfied (e.g. the user did not populate all the dropdown boxes) the user will get taken to an error page. The only option on the Error Page is basically to select "Re-Run". However if the user chooses re-run, then the previous temporary files are lost and the app won't be able to continue. Meaning the user basically has to start the whole chained app from the start App1 whenever he forgets to populate a dropdown box in a previous step.

How would one go about not losing the temporary files between each chained App so that if an error message appears the user can just go back, correct the data and proceed to the next app?

In the Designer this is not a problem because the errors pop up in a new window and you can just close the window to go back to the app and fix them.

Thanks in advance 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
MDel
8 - Asteroid

Hi Community,

So does nobody have any ideas on how to only rerun one of the apps in a chained app (when it throws an error message), without having to restart the entire chained app from scratch?

(and obviously keeping the temp data passed from the previously executed app in the chain)

Thank you!

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@MDel 

As of right now, there isn't an ability to repopulate an app once it's run without rerunning the entire app. You can save the their initial output as you mention, but there wouldn't be a way for them to go back and only fill out the ones they missed and then have it add to the already output data.

MDel
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DanM,

Thanks for confirming 🙂 At least now I know it's not just something obvious I've missed, but actually something that can't be done (at the moment).

Labels