Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Chained App - No User Input Required

andrewj41
5 - Atom

I'm hoping to get some input on an issue I'm having with chained apps. I'm running a very basic setup where I have manual text input as App1 and an overwriting of a file for App2. All of our workflows go to the Gallery where they run on schedules.

I have App1 setup to run on success in the Interface Designer, and the file path is all set to UNC. I can run App1 independently on my local machine as an App and it works properly. App2 is set to run after App1 is complete on success.

I can also run App2 independently on my local machine and it works properly.

But for some reason when I upload App1 to the Gallery for scheduling to run, it never triggers App2 to run.

Will these not run on the Gallery because they require user input to run? I've researched this for a few hours and have some to the conclusion that the only reason this won't run on Gallery is because it requires user input.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Scheduling an app that requires user input to run automatically won't work. You need a workflow that does not need any manual input so it can run on its own.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Like @gabrielvilella stated, the functionality you're looking for is not accomplished by an apps.  Apps, by definition, require user input or a user initiation at least.  Apps are yxwz extensions.  For no user intervention, you would need to create to yxmds.  The first one would have a "run command" "event" set up to trigger the next yxmd upon completion. 

Here is a brief description:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Schedule-workflow-one-after-another/td...

Labels