Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Census Data

timothyharlin
5 - Atom

Hello, I am trying to track number of patients at a hospital at any given time. I have arrival hour and departure hour and am trying to find a formula that will show all hours a patient was present.

For example, if a patient arrived at the hospital at 11am and left at 15:30 I would want to indicate that the patient was there at 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @timothyharlin,

I would do achieve this using the generate rows tool. Check my attached example

IraWatt_0-1658843007711.png

There is quite a good article on the generate rows tool here on the community: Tool Mastery | Generate Rows - Alteryx Community générer les lignes zeilen generieren 

Any questions or issues please ask! 
Hope that Helps

Ira Watt
Technical Consultant
Watt@Bulien.com 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @timothyharlin 

Sample data is always helpful, but hows something like this?

1. Generate rows to trim time to the hour and add a record for each hour between the in and out time
  2. Since the trim goes to the beginning of the hour, a filter is used to remove records that are before the 'in' time. i.e. if it's 9:34 it produces a record for 9:00, but based on your example we may not want that, if you do just remove the filter
  3. Formula to parse just the hour number

Luke_C_0-1658843129869.png

timothyharlin
5 - Atom

I think this will work! One question though - do you have any suggestions on times that overlap to the next day? For example, a patient arrives at 23:00 but leaves at 7:00 the next morning.

Matthew
11 - Bolide

deleted (see my next comment)

Matthew
11 - Bolide

this method should account for hours that roll over midnight

Matthew_0-1658928416274.png

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @timothyharlin,

Why don't you just generate a column with the actual date as well?

So have a column with the hours and then one with the date (minus the time) that way you're always completely certain about what you're looking at.

Regards,

Ben

Matthew
11 - Bolide

@Ben_H  i'm completely guessing here, but i imagine that @timothyharlin needs each hour broken out so they can log activities. Then they could see if any blocked hours are missed.

edit: oh i see what you're saying.. have a column for date and a column for hour... i agree with this.. @timothyharlin this is a good idea.. I've adjusted my solution above to include the full timestamp for each hour.. it was much easier to do it that way.

timothyharlin
5 - Atom

Thanks everyone for the help! I used a combination of a couple of solutions. New to Alteryx, so seeing how you all came up with solutions was crazy helpful.

Labels