Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Categorical variables

BharathSrivatsa
7 - Meteor

Hey, So I was writing advanced certified exam and I came across this question that I do not understand at all and i didn't studied the tools mentioned for the exam. Although I went through the tools later on, I still don't understand what the question is. So here it is. 

There are categorical variable in a dataset. which tools will display all the frequencies of the values of the categorical variable. Select all that apply.

I don't remember all the options in the MCQ, but I remember there was Frequency Table tool but there was no Browse Tool.

So Firstly, I do not understand what is a categorical variable. I did google a bit, but I am confused as in is it kind of like a datatype in Alteryx which wasn't mentioned in the core basics, or I have no Idea. 

Secondly, talking about frequencies, generally a Browse tool shows the frequency of the data in a workflow. Other than Browse tool, I came across Frequency Table tool but I am still learning about it. Since it asked select all that apply, what are the other tools that deals with frequencies and categorical variables. Any resources or links you can point at to study this further? 

Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

categorical variables are a type of variable in regressions. They are non-numeric variables like states or countries... They are not an Alteryx datatype.

BharathSrivatsa
7 - Meteor

ok thank you.

Labels