Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Cast String to Date In-Database

rtdavis
7 - Meteor

Hi - I have a new datetime format stored as a string in a SQL Server database that I am trying to convert In-DB, so I can filter on date.

The string format of my "EFFECTIVE_DATE" field is: "2018-12-06T00:00:00.000-08:00"

I have the following cast and convert commands through the In-Database Formula tool.  In both scenarios, the output is the correctly parsed left most piece of the original datetime string value equal to "2018-12-06".  However, the output field type still results in a "V_WSstring", even though my formula tool is set to Type: Date.

• CAST("EFFECTIVE_DATE" as DATE)
  • convert(date, "EFFECTIVE_DATE", 126)  (Per an article I read, Style 126 is ISO 8601 format for "yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss"

What is the best way to get the EFFECTIVE_DATE field converted to an actual date using the In-DB tools?

Thanks you - Randy

13 REPLIES 13
myfriend
5 - Atom

Hello, need to covert a string YYYYMMDD to date.  When I use the cast formula it CAST "ERDATE" 20050819 as date it comes out wrong 1970-08-21

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@myfriendwhat kind of DB are you using? In-DB syntax is vastly different depending upon what kind of back end DB you are using.

myfriend
5 - Atom

SAP - SnowFlake

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

This is all in-db (ie the SAP data has gone to Snowflake via ETL job or the like)?

to_date('20050819','yyyymmdd')

assuming this is a varchar field - you'd use this in formula in db with:

to_date("datefield",'yyyymmdd') and create a new datefield.

if you need additional help - start a new thread.

Labels