Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cascading Drop Down

Harsha
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

In data, I have Region and States. I need to create an app, in the app I need to give three drop downs. 1. Select Region, 2. Select State and 3. Select Input File. Using Interface tools we can achieve it.

but If user select any region from under the list Select Region drop down, it has to show only the states which comes under the selected region in the select State drop down.

Ex: if user select East Region, under the select State drop down list it has to show only states comes under East, New York, New Jersey, Ohio so on.

Data:

Region

Stare

Date

Value

East

New York

01/10/2016

East

New Jersey

01/18/2016

Central

Texas

01/15/2016

North

Illinois

01/22/2016

East

Ohio

01/30/2016

Hope there is a way to do it dynamically.

Thanks in advance,

Harsha.

5 REPLIES 5
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Perhaps a tree is what you're looking for? I've attached a simple example that has three regions and five states you list below. When you select a state, it just provides the date and value for that state that you provided in your sample. The list of states/regions is governed by the .csv file. I think this solution would answer your question ("if user select East Region, under the select State drop down list it has to show only states comes under East, New York, New Jersey, Ohio so on."), but it may not help with your final point about "Hope there is a way to do it dynamically." If you have never used the tree tool before, you could look at the sample "Tree Custom File Database" under Analytic Apps for a more robust example. Let me know if you have further questions!

Patrick

Harsha
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Patrick,

your solution is very close to my requirement and i tried with tree but i didnt get the required output. 

Is there any other way to get it in the Drop down instead of drill down...

Thanks,

Harsha.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Somebody else may have a creative way, but I have not yet found a good seamless way to have the drop down options change based upon user selections. 

PamW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

To get a drop down from a list of values from the incoming data you have to use the crosstab method. You can also generate menus. (Note that the chained app virtual training from this past week discusses some of the issues of using the cross tab method when special characters such as spaces are in the field values). 

In order to limit what the user can select, that is you do not want them to choose a state from each region you can would need to add in radio buttons.

pamW
Harsha
6 - Meteoroid

Hi PamW,

Thanks for the solution, I am going to Present both yours and Patrick solutions and will finalise based on the users selection.

Thanks,

Harsha.

Labels