Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Capitals Before Lower Case in Dictionary Sort?

cbridges
11 - Bolide

Does dictionary sort order always place capitals before lower case letters? For instance, in my sorting BMW-740Li precedes BMW-740i, which isn't logical to me...

@thizviz
3 REPLIES 3
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Actually if you have "Use Dictionary Order" checked (which is down at the bottom of the Sort tool configuration...took me a few months of Alteryx use before I noticed that option was even there Smiley Embarassed), it will sort in alphabetical order with lower case first (e.g., a, A, b, B, c, C, etc.)

If you don't have that option checked, it will sort all Upper case first and then all lower case (e.g., A, B, C, a, b, c, etc.)

Check out the Sort Help Article for more details.

cbridges
11 - Bolide

Ah, OK maybe I have that sort field backward then, and it's sorting "correctly" - at least in Alteryx's brain! Thanks!

@thizviz
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yeah, I would think that the 'normal expected' order would be 'dictionary order', so I would almost expect that option to be checked by default (or have it as the 'standard sort method' with maybe have a 'do NOT use dictionary order' option to check).

But as you said, it works as long as you understand the logic behind the settings. Smiley Wink

Labels