Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Capacity Scheduling

Matthew_Zollmann
6 - Meteoroid

All, 

I schedule 18 months out. Because of capacity, I work backwards, to ensure I only build forward and only build what is needed. 

Attached is my flow. I do it by hand and I am trying very hard to automate it. 

Required unconstrained starts is what I need for the month given. Family Capacity is the max.  Runningtotal is reverse. Saying my Jul 2021 going up so I know my standing by 12 2022.

Any help would be amazing. 

12 REPLIES 12
Matthew_Zollmann
6 - Meteoroid

Also, sometimes capacity < requirements. That is the easy one. Just run at full capacity

Jonny
11 - Bolide

Hi @Matthew_Zollmann ,

I cant runt the workflow as I am missing the input file. Can you export as package or simply attach the Data Input.xlsx file?

nb. to Export as a package: Options > Export Workflow > Save

sounds like an interesting use case!

cheers!

Jonny

Matthew_Zollmann
6 - Meteoroid

@Jonny ,

Thanks, this was my first post out of desperation lol. 

Just giving input data.

Thanks! Let me know if you need any more info 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Matthew_Zollmann 

Assuming you're starting with these 6 fields, you can generate the rest automatically as follows

danilang_1-1626965548056.png

danilang_0-1626965530471.png

Can you provide more details as to what you require from this point on?  A sample output would help enormously.

Dan

Matthew_Zollmann
6 - Meteoroid

Dan,

To be honest, I don't have a sample output. I just look at hundreds of families and schedule one by on, consuming capacity forward and backwards, but not going over requirements with good ol' fashioned excel. 

The end game is to schedule 18 months  while trying to get as close to 3899 but staying under each month's capacity limit.  

Total 18 Month Requirement    Total 18 Month Capacity

3899                                             4071

Jonny
11 - Bolide

Hi @Matthew_Zollmann ,

I think I managed to achieve the backward balance you are looking for.

Assumption:

you work backwards as to avoid ending the 18month cycle with excess and making sure that you anticipate production when the plan have future capacity challenges

The logic I built was thinking on Inventory fulfilment. When the aggregate monthly difference is > 0, then that delta becomes my inventory available and the monthly difference when > 0 becomes my requirement. working backwards "fulfilling those orders" until the remaining is zero.

Jonny_0-1627032292023.png

Jonny_1-1627032305919.png

have a look and let me know what you think.

cheers!

Jonny

Matthew_Zollmann
6 - Meteoroid

Jonny! Absolutely brilliant. I owe you a beer because you probably just got me a promotion. Solved a 3 week monthly process for a $6B company  🤣

Jonny
11 - Bolide

haha legend! 

I am just happy to able to contribute and ultimately help you @Matthew_Zollmann

You don't owe me anything, pay forward!

cheers dude, have a good weekend!

Matthew_Zollmann
6 - Meteoroid

@Jonny ,

I don't know what I did. The original file was working but I put a refreshed copy in there and the last month (record 18) is going over capacity. Could you happen to glance at it?

Matthew_Zollmann_0-1627061669222.png

Matthew_Zollmann_1-1627061686625.png

Labels