Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cannot connect to Twitter Search tool

Alex-Andronic
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

It's my first post in here. I'm trying to get same data from Twitter using the latest Twitter Search tool which I downloaded from the Alteryx Gallery. I'm using Alteryx 10.6.5.17060 and I when using the consumer key, consumer secret and also including a normal search such as Any of these words: Twitter I'm receiving the error  Twitter Search (1) Tool #176: Tool #11: Error transferring data: Couldn't connect to server

Did any of you had this kind of problem if yes what have you done to solve it and get the data?

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Alex-Andronic

- Can you right click on the twitter tool and go to open macro.

- If you click in the meta-info tab in your configuration window can you tell me the version number.

pic1.png

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

Alex-Andronic
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jordan,

Is the same as in your screenshot: 2.0.1

Thanks,

Alex

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Alex-Andronic

Can you clarify your configuration in the search and location tabs.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant 

Alex-Andronic
6 - Meteoroid

Of course, I just tried simple queries using standard Search (e.g. Any of these words: Twitter). I'm not using any configuration from the Location tab or Custom Search. All it happens is that I Run the query and receive the following error:

connect to server errorconnect to server error

Alex

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Alex-Andronic

Can you right click on the tool and open the macro again. Can you run that workflow and see if it gives you the same error?

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

Alex-Andronic
6 - Meteoroid

This is what I get when opening the macro and running it

Capture-alteryx-server-error2.PNG

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Alex-Andronic

I believe this is a proxy within your company firewall which is blocking the communication for this API. 

Could you please ask your IT to whitelist Alteryx as an application in your firewall? Alteryx would need the ability to download using APIs in order to use the Twitter Search. Depending on the way the firewall is configured, this may entail either whitelisting AlteryxGui.exe and AlteryxEngineCmd.exe, or the entire “bin” directory in your Alteryx installation.

Best,

Jordan Barker

CowCookie
6 - Meteoroid

I'm getting the same error on the main workflow and the macro. Is this also indicative of a company firewall issue? 

Main workflow errorMain workflow error

Error on macroError on macro

CowCookie
6 - Meteoroid

I just got off a call with my company's IT department. They said it does not appear to be a proxy issue based on what they could see. Do you know whether Alteryx is proxy aware? If it is proxy unaware, would you have the details about how to get whitelisted from your end?

Labels