Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cannot Modify Connection String

mikeyd1276
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, I am trying to update a connection string on a SQL database connection I have.  I need to change the server address from "Server A" to "Server B".  I went into the "Manage Data Connections" option, and the connection string section is grayed out.  I cannot find this anywhere else.  Anyone have any ideas how to modify this?

I know that I can set up the new server as a new connection, but then I need to change the connection in each data "input" on my workflows.

I am running Alteryx Designer 2018.1

4-6-2018 11-52-28 AM.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If I'm not mistaken, the connection string section is automatically populated with information from the fields above and the Microsoft ODBC Administrator. The server address should be pulled from the ODBC Administrator, so I imagine editing the server location there is the way to go.

ODBC Admin.png

mikeyd1276
6 - Meteoroid

Ah.  That could be the problem.  I need Admin rights to my PC to make changes there.  I guess its off to the local helpdesk I go!

4-6-2018 12-41-00 PM.jpg

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

I don't think this is true. I changed the name of my odbc connection to match the dsn on server and my designer still shows the old name. I can't modify anything and I don't think this used to be the case. 

We REALLY need curated community content, there is so much that's confusing or of unclear veracity on these threads! 

HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @davidhenington @mikeyd1276 @CharlieS

Currently, saved data connections cannot be edited except for changing the password. If you have the time, please comment and like this idea, which is asking for editing functionality to be added. 

You will have to create a new connection with the new information. If you create a new connection with a new name, you can use the workflow dependencies to update workflows with the new connection: 

1-16-2019 11-44-37 AM.png 

You can also delete the existing connection and create a new one with the same name. In that case, you won't have to update your workflows. 

If your saved data connection is referencing a DSN, like this: 

1-16-2019 11-52-31 AM.png

You can leave the saved data connection as is, and make the changes to the DSN through the Windows ODBC connection manager. 

Henriette Haigh
Technical Product Manager - Data Connectors
Alteryx, Inc.

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

Thanks so much Henriette! I have changed the password in the past so I think I assumed all of the other areas where editable as well and that had somehow changed. 

This totally helps. Will vote for the idea! 

HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx

You're welcome, thanks for voting! 

Henriette Haigh
Alteryx, Inc.

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

So I starred it and commented on it...is that the same as voting? I didn't see a "vote" button? 

HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @davidhenington

- sorry, I meant the "star" button. But comments are even better :) 

Henriette Haigh
Alteryx, Inc.

Labels