community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Can we update Google sheets input via macros with just login address and password?

Asteroid

Hello! 

So I have a bunch of workflow that has google sheets as inputs. Off late am trying to put them all together in list macro so it can run in sequential order. But , unfortunately we need me manually sign in and select sheets every time looks like practically its not possible to add a WF that has Google sheets inputs. 

Question: Is it possible to update a google sheet input via a macro? if so Can we tweak the underlying macros inside Google sheets to store my credentials (basically hard code) so that it doesn't ask for it every time when used in list runner ?  

What I tried: Use interface tools to update the tool, but I don't see an option anywhere to specify just username and password, instead it has inputs for rest of the below tokens which is generating at real time every run and not possible to be provided as hardcoded values. 

Any thought would be appreciated! Looking forward. 

gogole sheets with actions.PNG

Alteryx
Alteryx

Right click on the macro in the toolbar to open.  There will be a warning that it is using HTML.  You can change the Text Input to hard code credentials used, and remove some of the interfaces that would update that.  There are some options from the interface tools, that you may or may not need, depending on your use.

Do a save as to keep as your own.  You will not have the cool HTML interface, but you could build that on your own...

Please be aware, that this version would not a a supported tool in Alteryx, but we will do our best to assist if you run into trouble.

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
Asteroid

@ScottJ Thanks mate! 

I went through the other links you provided. I have bookmarked them and its going to be a long way for me as am in the early stages of understanding a complicated Macro. So I tried investigating and was not able to actually know where to provide the username and password as inputs in any of the macros set up inside. It would of great help, if you can send me a sample WF that might a hack for easy understanding. 

PS: Studying the google sheets input macros, am not able to find the set of specific tool that receives the username and password via User Login, but instead I can see the other set of tools to accept fields for the Developer Login. 

Alteryx
Alteryx

The tool you are looking for is the Text Input (tool 3).  This has placeholders for the Authentication info, that can be hard coded with your information.

All of the Interface tools update this one tool in the macro.
GoogleSheet.png

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
Labels