Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can't name a formula "H"...automatically renames to 'h'

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

Hi Everyone

I am helping my daughter with her science project on Wheel of Fortune and the frequency for letter usage.  I just noticed that the formula tool will not allow you to name a formula 'H'.  It automatically renames it to 'h'.  Is this a bug or is this one of those reserved name issues.

Just curious.

john

4 REPLIES 4
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

I just tested and was able to use "H" to name a formula (or technically, the name of the new field calculated by the formula).

Were you doing something more complex?

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

No I am doing a very simple length formula

LENGTH([Puzzle]) - LENGTH(REPLACE([Puzzle], 'H', ''))

I am using version 2018.3.5.52487

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I am able to create a field named "H" in a new workflow. Is there already a field called "h" going into the formula tool? It will use the pre-existing "h" if it already exists and replace the "H" you enter in that case.

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

I checked in the workflow who knows and nothing else is named "H".  So i deleted the formula and remade it.  Voila it is now able to be named "H"

It is honestly the strangest thing!

Labels