Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can't figure out how to run a bat file or vbs script from the Run Command tool

JohnTdata
5 - Atom

I'm pretty used to using the Workflow Configuration -> Events tab to fire a .bat file to run at the end of a module.

But what if I want to run the same bat file halfway through the module? I tried the Run Command, and pointed it towards my bat file, but the tool errors because it complains about needing inputs and outputs. I got confused and gave up. A lot of stuff in Alteryx is obvious, intuitive and clear. The Run command, alas, is not.

So how do I fire up a bat file within a module in the same way that you would if you put it in the Events tab?

My bat file is super simple, and just calls a vbs file, which in turn calls an Excel macro.

Here is the bat file:

@echo off
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe /c
cscript "C:\Temp\script.vbs"

And here is the vbs file called above. I realise it's a bit roundabout going from bat file -> vbs -> Excel macro, but it works, and for me that's all that matters.

Option Explicit

On Error Resume Next

ExcelMacroExample

Sub ExcelMacroExample() 

Dim xlApp 
  Dim xlBook 

Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application") 
  Set xlBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\Temp\Workbook.xlsm", 0, True) 
  xlApp.Run "Macro1"
  xlApp.Quit 

Set xlBook = Nothing 
  Set xlApp = Nothing 

End Sub 

So my question is really why can't I just plug my bat file into the Run Command in the same way that I can run it from the Events tab?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@JohnTdata I feel your pain. Wherever you want to insert your run command, I would connect that path to the run command tool, and then setup your run command tool to just output to %TEMP%dummyfile.yxdb. then you can input your bat file in the command section of the run command tool. Then I would setup your read results section of the run command tool to read that same dummy file.

Capture.PNG

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can use a Text Input or formula tool to construct the batch script (line by line), then that will go into your output which will write it as a .bat which the cmd tool can then read.  I've attached an example.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

vcheema
5 - Atom

Can we do something similar for vbs files. I have never got cscript to work on server.always get an error 1.

Labels