Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can't change column width when Unioning two tables and then Rendering

ajr2183
7 - Meteor

I have two Basic Tables that I am Unioning so that I can ultimately output them to separate worksheets, using and added field called "Sheetname". The two tables pull from the same data source, however, one of the tables uses a "Cross Tab" tool to sum a few columns and create a kind of Summary worksheet, while the other table just basically reports the underlying details. Since I used the "Cross Tab" tool, the two tables have different structures (different columns). Whenever I do this, I seem to run into the issue that I cannot change the column widths. My summary table has only 4 columns, while my detailed table has 15, so when the tables get outputted to the workbook, the tables have the same width, but I cannot reduce it on my summary table (ATTACHED SIMPLIFIED WORKFLOW).

Any guidance on how to manipulate the widths would be much appreciated. If I have to use a different method of exporting to different worksheets, that is fine too, I just need some capability to update the formatting (color, add dollar signs, etc.), which includes modifying the width length.

Thanks so much,

Adam

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ok, I've adapted your workflow a bit - have a look at the attached. The problem is not the width of the columns, it's that fact that the render tool renders every tab to a page size which is specified in the render tool at the bottom. So it will make all tabs the same width, like pages of a report.

To get around this, you can add empty space blocks either side of something you want to make smaller, such as your summary report. You can adjust the widths in the layout tool.

I also changed the Sheet headers.

Please let me know if this does what you want.

ajr2183
7 - Meteor

Shoot, was hoping there was a way to adjust the columns, but you solution is super clever. Obviously the input file I included was just some scrubbed/sample data, so I am curious to see how this works with my real data. Especially since in my real data there are some columns smack in the middle of the table that I would ideally like to stretch out, while others I would like to shrink. I will have to play around with this a bit, but this might be a unique solution.

Thanks for the help!

-Adam

Labels