Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can't adjust column width on table/layout/render tool combination

crtakacs
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow that creates one spreadsheet with four separate Excel tabs by using four separate instances of the table and layout tools which are combined with the union tool and outputted using one render tool.

On the render tool I have report style set to a custom size of 20 x 11 in order to compensate for one of the tabs that has 19 columns - otherwise it truncates the columns.

I have another tab with only 3 columns, but the columns are expanded out much further than needed - I'm guessing because of the render tool settings of 20 x 11. 

Is there a way to change the column widths for just the tab with 3 columns? I've tried changing the Table tool Table width, as well as the Layout tool Layout configuration to different settings such as changing to fixed and percentage. But the columns are always expanded out too far. In fact the column widths don't change at all no matter how I change the configurations on the Table and Layout tools. 

14 REPLIES 14
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You're correct that once the render size is set, it's used for all sheets. What you can do to render your data in a more concise manner is add empty fields to that sheet so they can take up some of that space.

sfyodor
7 - Meteor

How can this be done without extra empty columns being visible?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@sfyodor wrote:

How can this be done without extra empty columns being visible?

That mostly depends on your table style settings. Setting table and column/row outlines to disabled is the first step that comes to mind. 

sfyodor
7 - Meteor

Thanks Charlie, Where do I find how to do that? Is it in 'Default Table Settings'? The Style Editor?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The 'Default Table Setting' button is at the bottom of the Table tool configuration window. What I was suggesting by "not visible" was to remove the cell outline and fill with a white color so those fields are less obvious. 

sfyodor
7 - Meteor

Thanks. It works, but it makes the column really small since I cant control the width. Unless I put something in there which then will get picked up if you are in the actual cell or apply filter which then grabs that "blank" column since the text is there but not visible. 000006.jpg

Any other ideas on how to widen this column out?

Zenani
8 - Asteroid

Hi 

I have the same problem , may you provide screens of where I can disable the column/rows outlines

sfyodor
7 - Meteor

Its in your table tool -> default table settings.

table1.jpg

Table.jpg

Zenani
8 - Asteroid

Hi

i changed the settings but its still stretched out for sheets that have for example only 3 columns

how were you able to fix this?

Labels