community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Can someone explain to me why the same word isn't always matched?

Asteroid

Attaching workflow below. I'm trying to filter using the Contains formula. After spending lots of time going over the syntax and case sensitivity options again and again, I tried to isolate the problem in the below workflow, by manually inputting the same word in 3 different ways, one of the three was copy pasted from my original data (the one that isn't matching).

Can someone explain why it isn't matching? I don't want to have to copy paste it into my formula just to make it work. I need to first understand why it isn't matching so that I can include logic in my workflow that will match no matter what. I know the cheap solution is to use "OR" 2 times, but for the sake of the puzzle, what's the difference between Custodian and Custodian? How do you diagnose this? The only thing I can suspect is maybe the "o" character for some reason was written in a different language (still looks identical but counts as a different character?)

Alteryx Certified Partner

Hey @AkisM 

I can tell you why it isn't matching but I'm not sure I can help fix it:

There is an issue with the "C"

Capture.PNG

Highlighted

further investigation shows that this is Ascii Character 1057, which looks like it's from the Greek Alphabet

Capture.PNG

Asteroid

Thanks @LordNeilLord , what formula did you use to check it against the ASCII table?

Hey @AkisM 

CharToInt() in the formula tool, then I looked it up on the Internet

Pulsar

Hi @AkisM 

Cool sleuthing, @LordNeilLord !!

And an easy fix. Copy and paste the first letter (the C) into a new text input, and then create another column with the replacement value.

image.png

Then a Find/Replace tool replaces all of the C's that are off with the C's that are accurate.

image.png

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers,

Esther

Labels