Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can somebody tell me where is "Choose table or specific Query" ?

Longdaica
7 - Meteor

Hello guys.

In the input section, when i click to the 3rd option on the left (table or query), It should give me (Choose table or specific Query) but i gave   (Select Excel Input).  I need to use the SQL editor . I am using the latest version of Alteryx (i just installed 3 days ago)

my screenmy screentutorial ?!tutorial ?!

9 REPLIES 9
Longdaica
7 - Meteor

please help

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

According to the help it appears this ability has been removed as an option when bringing in an excel file: https://help.alteryx.com/2018.1/DbFileInput.htm

We would need someone from Alteryx to confirm but the documentation definitely suggests this.

What exactly were you looking to achieve with your SQL statement? I assume it can be done very easily inside Alteryx anyway.

Ben

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Longdaica The old SQL editor is gone but it's still possible to write SQL if you edit the XML. First, you will need to go to options >>> User Settings >>> Advanced and then check the box "Display XML in Properties Window". Then you can go to your input tool with the excel file, click on the Xml icon on the left, and then "Edit" on the top right:

Capture2.PNG

Here you can write a SQL statement like before:

<File OutputFileName="" RecordLimit="" SearchSubDirs="False" FileFormat="25">File.xlsx||| Select * From `Selections$A1:C5`</File>

You won't want to change anything between the < > above (green text). You would just be changing the File and SQL (red text). You would click ok when you're done. Then it will look like this:

Capture.PNG

It's certainly not ideal, but I still use it.

Inactive User
Not applicable
OliverW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks @patrick_digan for the idea with the XML editing.

You can actually even do it a little easier in 2018.1, you can just add it here:

Untitled.jpg

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@OliverW That is much easier :)

OliverW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Its actually also quite nice as you of course then again can make this dynamic through Alteryx Macros for example.

Best wishes

Oliver

evilla
7 - Meteor

evilla
7 - Meteor

This is a great workarounf and much easier.

As a FYI you can copy and paste the text in the "Table and Query" field if you are lazy and don't want to type in long sheet names or if you need to quickly modify the ranges.

Labels