Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can a List Box Tool allow a user to enter multiple values with a separator?

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Question: Can I use a List Box Interface Tool to allow a user to input more than one value with a comma separator? The action tool is connected to an in-database filter that filters by client number. There are thousands of client numbers so I don't want to use a list box.

Is this possible? Or is there another solution that I'm not aware of?

Capture.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
suli
9 - Comet

Hi @ddiesel,

as far as I understand, you would like that

1. user can input multiple customer names/IDs, comma separated to Text Box

2. no need to use a pre-defined list (because there are too many possibilities)

3. this input updates formula, so if user inputs 123, 456 you like the formula like CustomerID in ("123", "456")

What I am thinking of, is to update formula (to filter customers) with formula inside Action tool (update value with the formula option), something like

'CustomerID in ('"+ regex_replace([#1], ',\s{0,1}', '","')+'")' so your filter gets desired syntax dynamically.

Let me know if you have any questions.

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@suli... thanks for your response. I am just getting back to this project.

Yes, this is exactly what I need. I haven't conquered RegEx yet. Do you know why I would be getting a parse error at character 15? 

I guess it's time for me to learn! I'm going to see if I can figure this out tonight.

suli
9 - Comet

Hi @ddiesel,

It was just a sample regex formula.

If you are not familiar with RegEx, I highly recommend one of regex- support websites, I usually use regex101.com (although there are multiple available).

Correct formula could be: 'CustomerID in ("'+ regex_replace([#1], '\s{1}', '","')+'")'

Hope that helps!

AngieKing
7 - Meteor

Looks like the second response was missing the comma character to be replaced.

'ClientNo in ("'+ regex_replace([#1], ',\s{0,1}', '","')+'")'

Add the comma back right before the \s

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@AngieKing After switching around the single quotes and double quotes, the formula worked perfectly for me!

"ClientNo in ('"+ regex_replace([#1], ",\s{0,1}", "','")+"')"

Thanks also to @suli for pointing me in the right direction.

mabellebautista
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I have an error when I tried. I want to add all the checked items by the client in the input data. Could you please share a screenshot of how should I configure the Formula tool and the action tool. Thank you!

Labels