Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can Alteryx unzip a file as part of the workflow?

Philip
12 - Quasar

I'm downloading climate data and the files come zipped. Can Alteryx unzip the files as part of the workflow?

The path to one of the files is

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/orders/qclcd/QCLCD201601.zip

40 REPLIES 40
marlline141
7 - Meteor

@jdunkerley79 

Hi friend,

I tried to use your tool but it didn't unzip.

marlline141_0-1576280592388.png

Could you please kindly help? Thank you very much!!

David-UHG
7 - Meteor

Please provide you alteryx workflow, I'm on PTO for the rest of year and have plenty of time to take a look.

David-UHG
7 - Meteor

This should work, all you need to do is change the file name in text input(3) and text input (15) line 1 to your specific landing zone on your C: drive. The runtime event, I set that to the system default temp file.

If your C: path is what you have provided, I've included a file - Mary Credentials. Should work, but obviously I cannot unit test it.

David-UHG
7 - Meteor

Oh, I also disabled container 3. If you need any of that process, just enable and adjust to your use case. Good luck!

gwiz
8 - Asteroid

@jdunkerley79 

I am attempting to use this workflow but am getting an error at the Run Command tool. Error opening C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\Engine...\ziplist.txt: no fields found.

How do I make sure the Run Command tool will work? In the text input tool I am having it navigate to a zip file in my google drive folder. The error occurs at this Run Command tool so I assume the link to my zip file is good. Thoughts?

gwiz
8 - Asteroid

@asifk I got that error too. But doing only one of the options didn't help. Do you know how to fix it otherwise?

meghak1590
7 - Meteor

Will the solution work on ALteryx Gallery also??? 

i have gone through several posts on Community stating that 7 Zip is not supported by ALteryx gallery.

Moreover if we use the input Tool to unzip the folder containing excel files. it gives an error: "Error: Input Data (1): No sheet specified, you must specify a sheet
".

kindly suggest the solution for this so that it runs on ALteryx Gallery also to fetch the Zip file from NAS drive .

i have a Zip file containing all excel files . and the workflow is configured to run on ALteryx gallery to fetch the Zip file from NAS drive.

David-UHG
7 - Meteor

@meghak1590 

Try using powershell, my solution is in the response of the following thread...…..

Powershell script to unzip on NAS 

raghusrealm
8 - Asteroid

@jdunkerley79  Thanks a lot for sharing this workflow. This is very helpful.

I would like to know how to run this workflow on Alteryx Gallery. If you could share an updated workflow that can run on gallery, it will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Raghu

acowpy
8 - Asteroid

This answer is a little out of date. Zip files can be opened natively with the Input tool now:

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/zip-file-support

Labels