Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can Alteryx append records to Excel tab at specific line number

sonseeahray
8 - Asteroid

Can Alteryx append records to Excel tab at specific line number?

I have an Excel template that contains formulas in a header portion of a tab. These formulas provide summary information of the appended data.

For example, the summary information ends at line 14, and I need to append my Alteryx output at line 15. Is there a way to do this?

8 REPLIES 8
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@sonseeahray You can create a recordID column for the data you want to append and use the join tool to 'join based on recordID' (join by specific fields) to line 15. You can use the formula tool to create this record Id column. 

Digan
Alteryx
sonseeahray
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure I follow you though, and maybe an image may help. This is a snapshot of my template where I want to have the Alteryx output begin at line 15.

clipboard_image_0.png

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@sonseeahray Attached is an example.

Workflow:

macro.PNG

Dataset.PNG

Digan
Alteryx
sonseeahray
8 - Asteroid

@DiganP. Thank you but I am unable to import the package and received this error message.

clipboard_image_0.png

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@sonseeahray Wherever you saved the .yxzp file, there will be a folder with the workflow name. Please click on that folder and open the workflow. It should work fine. 

Digan
Alteryx
sonseeahray
8 - Asteroid

Yes opening it directly from the folder worked.

I am sorry though that I still do not follow your suggestion. Do I need to create blank rows at the top of my output and then create a lookup for the position to join (#15)?

The attached file is a snapshot of the data I would like to append beginning at line 15 of the template I provided a screenshot of earlier.

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@sonseeahray yes you need to create a look up using the record Id tool for that position, very similar to the example workflow. 

Digan
Alteryx
sonseeahray
8 - Asteroid

@DiganP. Thank you for all your examples. I have decided to go with adding a temporary header row to my template which will allow me to simply use the 'Append To Existing Sheet' option for my output. It's an alternative that works just fine.

Labels