Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Calling Cognos from Alteryx

JenniferO
8 - Asteroid

Hey everyone!

Has anyone been able to call a Cognos report from an Alteryx workflow?  I have a workflow that populates a table on a SQL Server database.  After the table is populated, I would like the Alteryx workflow to trigger the Cognos report to run.  Any thoughts?

Thank you!!

7 REPLIES 7
cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hello @JenniferO,

I am not familiar with connecting Alteryx to Cognos, but am familiar with Cognos. There may be a way to leverage the run command tool and create a script that kicks off the Cognos report, but may require some coding to create the script.

My other thoughts on this, can you re-create the Cognos report in Alteryx (either using the Insight tool or reporting tools) and send it out via the email tool? This would be a bit more work on the front end, but would then be fully automated. 

JenniferO
8 - Asteroid

Hi @cplewis90 ,

Using the run command tool with the Cognos URL worked perfectly.  We were even able to pass data from the Alteryx workflow as parameters for the Cognos report.  Very cool!

Thank you!!

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@JenniferO That is fantastic! Glad it worked well!

tochy
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am a newbie and I have no idea of what I am doing yet! 

I want download invoice files which are in pdf from cognos. Usually, on the home screen, we insert the vendor name, date and run the report. This generates a table listing the vendor invoices that match the selection criteria. This table, among other things, also contain a link (FileNet URL column) which we click to view or download the invoice. I want to use alteryx to download these invoices (pdf) en-mass without having to manually do it one by one. I have attached a screenshot of the table.

Thanks for your help!Captured file.JPG

ramesh_neel
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Hey can you please share a sample worflow to see how you made it work? I have to do something similar 😞

Alteryx ACE | Sydney Alteryx User Group Lead | SparkED Contributor and Mentor
cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hey @tochy,

You will probably have to use the download tool or try leveraging some sort of run command to have it download the links automatically. If you right click on one of the links to copy the link address you will need to see if the link it generates follows some sort of pattern (i.e. https://cognosreportexample/vendorname2019-07-05.pdf). If it does not follow an explicit pattern you may have to work with your COGNOS administrator to understand how that is done. There may also be a base table that has all the info for generating the PDFs that could be leveraged.

sreerokkam87
5 - Atom

can you please share the solution. i am eagerly looking into it. thanks!

Labels