community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Calgary Descriptions for Experian Data

Alteryx Certified Partner

I'm using the calgary transforms with the Experian cencus dataset for the first time and am trying to figure out how to bring in the descriptions of the codes.

Is this some setting in the calgary input tool? Or will I have to join to all the additional files that come with the census data set to get the descriptions?

You can get to the descriptions for the codes when you go to edit index metainfo, so it seems as though the tool knows how to get the descriptions, but it doesn't appear to output those descriptions, just the codes, which are kinda useless if you don't know what they mean.

I'm hoping I'm just missing some obvious setting.

Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Check out the Macro on the Gallery for the Allocate Renaming process.

It's been a while since I looked at it, but it's primary basis is using the Allocate Metainfo tool in connection with a Dynamic Rename tool. The only thing is that you can't just match on the code because the Descriptions can be the same for various codes and are actually unique on Description/SubCategory.

I'm pretty sure this macro takes this into consideration, but you can always open it up to see the actual workflow behind it.

Thanks I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.

The value descriptions you see in the Experian Household and Individual Calgary files actually come from an XML installed with the datasets.  The HH file XML is named "ConsumerView__QueryFieldInfo.xml", and the Individual file XML is named "Individual__QueryFieldInfo.xml".  There is no way to output the value descriptions directly from the Calgary tools, but you could definitely write a process to do so with these files.

Thanks, i'm familiar with those files.

The Calgary tools would be a lot more useful if they had the descriptions from those files as a built in output.

Giving this one a bump to see if anyone has had any more luck with it.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a simple way to get the code descriptions output with the data as the codes on their own are pretty useless.

Hi @shayward,

Below is an example of how to do it...  I'm not sure how useful this feature would be for anything other than final presentation of the data.  For performance reasons, you'd want to join the descriptions as far down in the stream as possible.

CalgaryDescriptions.png

Meteoroid

I tried to use the Calgary Input mapped to the Individual__QueryFieldInfo.xml but I keep getting an error.  Do you have an example of the Configuration?

Error:  There was an error in CalgaryRunQuery: Expected comment or processing instruction at Line:1 and Column:1

Meteoroid

Hi, for the file ConsumerView_QueryFieldInfo.xml  has 3 fields, but only "name" field is poplulated, the "EnumeratedValues" and "QueryFieldInfo" are empty. I am wondering how can I know the meaning of the coded value for Experian Household Data?

Could anyone help me?

Thanks a lot!

Alteryx
Alteryx

@idaho8007 Instead of reading in the QueryFieldInfo file as xml - read it in as a csv with no delimiter (\0) and no field names in the first row. From there you have quite a few options for parsing out the data.

Labels