Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Calculating the percentage of a column with different categories

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi Team,

I have an excel file containing the data with different column. I want to calculate the percentage of particular column with different categories. Say the column has 3 categories. Then it has to give me the total count and the percentage of each categories in the data.?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks 

Sriniv

14 REPLIES 14
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @sriniprad08 

I think i understand what you mean, to do this i would create a formula tool to calculate the total, and then divide the figure you want by this total figure. Can you upload a sample input and what you would like for an output, and i'd be happy to give this a go for you!

Bulien
sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi @TheOC 

Thank you for helping out. Please find attach the sample data and the solution

sriniprad08_0-1603283726298.pngsriniprad08_1-1603283745917.png

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @sriniprad08 ,

there are different approaches to create this output, e.g. Summarize, Append Fields and Formula tools can be used.

I've attached a sample workflow. Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @sriniprad08 

I have created a workflow that makes this for you:

TheOC_0-1603284778165.png

Bare in mind the percentage is slightly inaccurate as its to 1 decimal place as you requested in your output. This can easy be changed in the formula tool however.

Please find attached the workflow, and let me know if i can help any further!

Bulien
sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi @TheOC 

Thank you so much . Really appreciate your help. I have one question actually i am want the percentage of column A. But i can see in your workflow percentage is calculated for column C. Am i missing something?

Cheers,

Sriniv

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

hi @RolandSchubert 

Thank you so much. its helpful and worked. However i have a question in case if i don't have the column C and i need to calculate the percentage of column A what changes i should have done to the workflow?

Cheers,

Sriniv

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@sriniprad08 

OOPS!

I had thought you wanted an average of Column C!

Easy fix:

TheOC_0-1603286794778.png

Attached a fixed solution!

Have a great day, and let me know if i can help any further!

Bulien
sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi @TheOC 

Thank you so much. It works perfectly. However when i tried to run with my sample data its not. I don't have an amount column which we can sum . i have something like this . How can i modify the workflow?

Sample
AB 
Rs 
Gs 
Gt 
Rt 
Xt 
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

If I got you right, you want the share of "count"?  I've modified the workflow a bit.

Labels